Hornby 0 Gauge track issues

Simon -348258

Hi,

I have just inherited a Hornby 0 gauge train set from 1936. The clockwork train works fine but the track seems to be causing issues at some points where the train keeps jumping off. Some of the track has distorted over the years which I have straightened the best I can and tried to get the track spacing right. The tracks are cambered.

Has anyone any tips to help me get the train to run without jumping off?

Simon

Some of the track has distorted over the years which I have straightened the best I can and tried to get the track spacing right.

Hello Simon 👋

Welcome

The track gauge is a fairly critical item. Too wide, and the wheels fall in, leading to derailment. Too narrow, and the wheels ride up, leading to derailment.

This Hornby Railway Collectors Association website claims that the gauge varied a bit, but was 32 mm.

https://www.hrca.net/2-uncategorised/10-o-gauge-fact-sheet

You would be well advised to create a tool to measure the inside distance, from rail to rail, that is 32 mm long. Go completely around your track and insure that the track gauge is correct.

Antique track is also widely available and you may wish to simply replace the wonky track pieces with better.

Bee