r070 turntable

tootsie100

hi everybody i am kind of new to this on the layout i am trying to make it has a turntable i did try to make it work by going on hornbys website,then i started reading the forum and tried out minoo idea it works well but i do not seem to have any power

on the track only on the piece which is lined up with the main track,is it possible to get power to the other parts of track so you can shunt the wagons about hope this makes sense thanks in advance.

Hi tootsie, I'll assume you are operating DCC as you've posted on this forum. You'll find complete information by searching on here, including at least 3 different ways of doing it but basically you have to isolate all output tracks from the turntable

then you must have separate power supply to each track if you wish to operate locos when the TT is not turned to the track. Dropper wires to a power bus is the way to do it.

Fishmanoz said:

Hi tootsie, I'll assume you are operating DCC as you've posted on this forum. You'll find complete information by searching on here, including at least 3 different ways of doing it but basically you have to isolate all output

tracks from the turntable then you must have separate power supply to each track if you wish to operate locos when the TT is not turned to the track. Dropper wires to a power bus is the way to do it.
hi fishmanoz my main track layout is dcc but i wired

my turntable like minoo said using an old controller so can i use my main track to get power to my sidings from the turntable cheers in advance

Of course DCC locos will work on DC. It's DC locos that shouldn't be run on DCC.

DC and DCC should NEVER be mixed for powering the layout. You will probably blow both controllers, decoders and maybe all the loco motors too.

You can use DC

to power the turntable motor of course.

I have a Hornby turntable on my layout and it is powered by a HM2000.

The turntable is wired directly to one of the controlled DC outputs of the HM2000, this way I can alter the speed and direction at will.

I have removed the 4 brass contact

strips that are located at each end of the turntable's rails.

The input track is powered from my DCC bus main.

It works just fine.

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. I'm sure tootsie is telling us he is powering the bridge with DC on his DCC layout, just as Icurus is doing. This is fine and a cheaper way of going about it than adding a Decoder to run the bridge.

That gets

us to track arrangements - all track must be isolated from the bridge or shorts occur as it rotates. Icurus is using the Hornby method of removing the brass contacts but others think of this as butchering the TT. A no frills method is to use masking tape on

the clips but I think this will be a problem over time as the tape wears through. The RR solution is to use the adapted isolated inlet track - do a search on here and you'll find a quite recent description. You also have to isolate and separately power any

outlets that connect back to the layout. Insulated fishplates will do this job.

Not sure any of this DC/DCC stuff is relevant. I think tootsie is just telling us DC is being used to rotate the bridge, all track is DCC. If so, my posts above explain how to do it - isolate all inlet and outlet tracks from the bridge and DCC power these

tracks as appropriate.

tootsie, I think poliss is referring to the fact that half the TT outlets are reverse polarity to the others and, depending on the how these outlets are wired to the rest of your layout, a reverse loop module may be needed to handle this polarity change.

However, if the outlets are just sidings not otherwise connected to your layout, you just need to take account of the polarity when you wire to them after isolation. Take a look at the Brian Lambert site on TTs at http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.htm#Turntables.

where there is more info (Hornby TT definitely has the slip ring arrangment where half the outlets are reverse).

Archived