How to repair damage to coal wagon

Gary-351222

forum_image_64386fb7925e6.thumb.png.c15129ab383725a0d87bac4ce5cbe107.pngI've just taken delivery of a OO guage Flying Scotsman and my initial enthusiasm was dampened by a damaged coal wagon. See photos. How would I repair this as I can't be bothered returning the items to the eBay seller who didn't mention the damage in the posting?

Update. I contacted the seller who said it wasn't damaged when he posted it which I find hard to believe as the package wasn't damaged. I found the very small bit that broke off stick into the polystyrene holder. I have glued it in place as best I could with my eyesight and no magnifier. I added some extra atop the join to hopefully strength it a bit more.forum_image_64386fc3d923e.thumb.png.3032e525288d3b7d902aad4ef6821dfc.pngforum_image_64386fcd9a10c.thumb.png.c44e2f65dcd87d3e2362b79b4b813786.png

If the damage wasn't visible in the ebay listing photos then you should still report the damage to the seller, see what response you get? Could be damage in transit and claim against the courier (was it properly packed?) or is it "item not as described"? Sometimes buyer and seller may agree on a partial refund, assuming the seller doesn't think you're "trying it on".

Hello Gary

I am a very long term eBay participant. I've both bought and sold some very high value items, since before the turn of the millennia.

I've also experienced some of the not so pleasnt surprises.

Here is what you do.

(1) Put the seller on notice.

write to the seller. Be polite. Use the words "material mistepresentation" "hidden damage". Explain that you know your rights under the ebay system. Tell the seller there is a time limit under that system.

(2) you do have 30 days [last I looked it up] to dispute an item

(3) you may avail yourself of the 'Disputes' service. When in this situation, I tell the vendor I will open a dispute on the 27th day. eBay typically sides with the buyer. Vendors know this and this threat is usually enough to get them to settle.

(4) whilst it may not provide much satisfaction, leaving a negative feedback will cost a vendor money in the long term, as higher fees are charged to those with less than stellar feedback.

(5) follow up persistently and always remain polite. Use the eBay contact system, as this becomes a record that eBay will use to evaluate the situation.

I typically just settle for a partial refund. Most vendors prefer this as well, since their reputation is maintained and will not be receiving back an item that, for want of better words, 'got damaged in the post'.

~~~~~~

Your pictures did not come through, so I cannot see the damage. Perhaps try again?

Bee

A few questions:

1. Was this damage evident in the original Ebay presentation?
  2. Was there mention of this damage in the for sale document description?
  3. I presume you mean the 'tender' when you say coal wagon?
  4. I'm not seeing any photos - are there more you can post?
  5. Is this a breakage? Is the break clean? Some repairs can be near 'invisible'.

I would definitely approach the seller, explain clearly what has happened / what has been received and ask how he / she proposes to resolve this issue.

If you prefer, you could clearly state you wish to return for full refund.

Sometimes a repair is possible, you can request a return / refund, and then you both 'agree a compromise' - partial refund and you keep and repair.

Al.

I have had a number of items damaged in the post recently. If I’ve sold it and the buyer wants a refund which isn’t always the case, I give a full refund once I get it back and claim off Royal Mail which is quite an easy process. I stopped using couriers for this reason and will only post Royal Mail recorded delivery or special delivery for more valuable items. If they smash stuff, they pay. If I receive something broken in the post I take a view, I can usually fix stuff so not too bothered. I had a box of 50s/60s Jouef and Playcraft parts thrown over the back gate last week. Luckily despite the box being flattened at one end the contents had been well packed and were safe.

WRT to particular problem you had, I have had several tenders with the plastic hoop broken. I usually replace them with metal, it’s a weak point of the design and a fairly small jolt can break them. The plastic that Triang and Hornby used also seems to be getting brittle with age, i have had problems with items like motion brackets that I have never had in the past.

Just a bit of advice, if you are posting items make sure you read what the requirements of the PO or courier are and make sure you follow them and if you get a return you also get the original packaging. You will need to photograph it and if it doesn’t have some form of protection and FRAGILE on it you might not get a refund. They also refund the cost of the postage

Photos appeared now - a loop in the tender to effect a drawbar.

A backup in the event this fails is to actually remove all, drill holes, and shape / use thick wire - similar 'gauge' to the original plastic - should it start breaking again.

Al.

Photos appeared now - a loop in the tender to effect a drawbar.

A backup in the event this fails is to actually remove all, drill holes, and shape / use thick wire - similar 'gauge' to the original plastic - should it start breaking again.

Al.

This type of coupling is quite flimsy to begin with and becomes brittle with age. Quite easy to damage if you try to connect the loco and tender before putting on the track, or lift them off the track together.

As others have suggested I would recommend replacing it with wire. Some mild steel wire of a suitable diameter is fine.