Upgrade options and thoughts?

gilbo2

My current setup is eLink + RailMaster and to be honest I'm quite happy with that.

However, the HM7000 system does appeal to me, in terms of being to use an iPad to control both the latest and legacy decoders. It's a shame though that the eLink will not have the capability to work in this way, so I'd have to get an Elite + legacy dongle for it to work how I'd like. (Real shame Hornby have/will not develop an upgrade path for existing eLink users but I guess that's another topic!).

So, can I use Elite (with legacy dongle) + RailMaster like the eLink, i.e. I would never have to touch the Elite, except after a short circuit? This would then allow me to hide away the Elite like my eLink is today. Sounds strange I know, but due to space constraints on an established 'eLink' layout, this would be my preference.

Also, for those now using HM7000 on an iPad/iPhone, is my proposal to ditch eLink for Elite + dongle worth it in your opinion?

I use Railmaster with eLink to control 6 TTS locos and now 2 8-TXS locos. I only use the iPad to download the sound files and to set the CVs in real time, for which it is excellent.

I can't imagine changing from Railmaster to the HM7000 app for train control in the foreseeable future - I really like the RM track display with point control, and the RM loco control is good enough. I might upgrade some but not all of my TTS locos to TXS in order to get better sound quality and better motor control and features such as F27 Brake and F28 AFC, which are both very good.

Regards, John

Thank you, your approach has given me plenty to think about.

Yes I agree, I don't see the app replacing RM 100%, but it does give more options for the future hopefully.

Although I understand there are no plans for a PC version of the app, hopefully in the future Hornby might consider it. At some point, RM may need to be retired, especially if Microsoft starts to do an "Apple" and force developers to upgrade code. Mind you, HM7000 it more at risk with that one!