J39

Silver Fox 17

The problem with the couplings, I expect, is due to their being close couplings. The idea is that they lock rigidly together, and the "kinematic" mechanism moves the vehicles further apart on a curve. Without such a mechanism they will cause derailments.

Most of the NEM coupling boxes are intended to be used with such an arrangement, but in other scales the standard couplings — tension lock, NEM 360 (hook/loop), and the Arnold coupling in N gauge, don't lock rigidly together. As a result many OO and N gauge British models don't have the kinematic mechanism.

In OO/HO you can (or could) get adaptors to provide such a mechanism. I don’t know whether there is anything for N gauge (the TT and N gauge NEM boxes are the same).

Kadee don't do N or TT couplings. N gauge are done by Micro-Trains; once part of Kadee but the twin brothers who ran the company fell out and went separate ways.

Your best bet might be the Dapol "easi-shunt" couplings. They will fit in a N or TT gauge NEM box, and there is a conversion kit for non-NEM fitted stock. This doesn't provide a kinematic mechanism however. It's available in different lengths — you'll need a trial and error approach to find which length is needed in each case. But they aren't cheap.

I'm not sure that the hook can drop out — unless you know different — but replacement couplings are supplied in kit form, and the hook is very thin; I can just about pick it up and assemble one of the couplings but my tweezers can't hold it.

There aren't many alternatives to Dapol anyway; the standard N gauge couplings aren't easy to shunt with, and as for the 009 couplings that also fit the pocket, it's worth noting that one of the largest 009 layouts — Ted Polet's Craigcorrie and Dunalastair — uses N gauge couplings…