Sugar Cube speaker without enclosure

There is a small loco that I wish to give the HM7000 treatment. Room is extremely limited and after assessing the space, it looks like I can only fit the speaker without an enclosure. Does anybody have any experience of what the resulting sound quality might be like?

Thanks

A pity we don’t have any TT120 service sheets to refer to.

Could not the larger clip seen in the video just be cropped shorter to match the new print items, thus providing space.

The Hornby speaker drives from both sides apparently so an enclosure is essential to separate the sound phasing.

Thanks Rm, interesting.

He’s using a Zimo MS500N decoder at 14x10x2.6mm 6-pin which will fit into the socket in the 08 with the challenge being the speaker (added this to avoid having to go the YT to get that detail). It’s around the same price as the -8TXS which is much larger at 18x10x7mm. You could always put the speaker in a wagon behind.

There is an updated video with more of what Richard has done to achieve this.

In addition to your idea of trimming down the motor clip Rob, I would think it could be possible to cut down the smaller speaker enclosure too or make one from plasicard, for those of us without a 3D printer 😁

Although, making a new motor clip does mean you have an option to return to original if you needed to. I would be more keen to get a stay alive in there though, ahead of sound.