R3140 & R8249 problem

grumpy old man

Hi again

After managing to get the body shell off the R3140 Northernrail (thanx to all those who gave info)I successfully installed the R8249 decoder.

Problem I find that after running it then leaving it stood for a while (say 30 mins minimum )

I find that I need to put it back on the programming track to readdress it.

I`v had no problems with any other of my locos that I have the R8249 fitted to

Any help would be appreciated.

I use both Select & Elite controllers and both are working ok

Thanx

Hi

Are you saying the decoder is self resetting back to its default address of 3?

Hence the need to reprogram it.

Is one system being used that is causing the problem - e.g. The Select is the one causing the problem or its the Elite?

You

know you cant have both connected to the rails or DCC bus wires, don't you?

As Poliss says this is not correct.

Sometimes and not often now, a decoder will reset to its default settings if there is a short circuit on the layout or sometimes a power

surge is occurring at powering up the DCC system. But this is not common.

Flashbang said:

Hi
Are you saying the decoder is self resetting back to its default address of 3?
Hence the need to reprogram it.
Is one system being used that is causing the problem - e.g. The Select is the one causing the problem

or its the Elite?
You know you cant have both connected to the rails or DCC bus wires,
T don't you?

As Poliss says this is not correct.
Sometimes and not often now, a decoder will reset to its default settings if there is a short circuit

on the layout or sometimes a power surge is occurring at powering up the DCC system. But this is not common.
I

Hi

I have just tried again to run the loco after a `rest period `of 1 hr but no luck I had to readdress to it to 9 yet again, it shows 3 on the select at start up and will not run at the default code 3 unless I address to this number.

My controllers

are used seperataly and not attached to the rails together. I address locos using the select controller.

Also i did not originally mention that the loco has a high hummimg noise when running I have lubricated the areas as shown on the info sheet I am not

quite sure if this is because it is a DMU as my other locos do not have this running noise.

Hope this explains my problem clearly

Thanx

Have you tried a different decoder? Check that the pins on the decoder aren't projecting through the bottom of the socket in the loco and short circuiting. Also check that no wires got fouled or damaged when you replaced the body shell.

What are you

using to connect the controllers to the track? If using a power clip or power track they must be the digital versions as the analogue types have a capacitor fitted which confuses the DCC 'signal'.

You do know that you can plug the Select into the Elite

and use the Select as a Walkabout controller? The Select power supply should be removed of course.

poliss said:

Have you tried a different decoder? Check that the pins on the decoder aren't projecting through the bottom of the socket in the loco and short circuiting. Also check that no wires got fouled or damaged when you replaced the

body shell.
What are you using to connect the controllers to the track? If using a power clip or power track they must be the digital versions as the analogue types have a capacitor fitted which confuses the DCC 'signal'.

You do know that you can

plug the Select into the Elite and use the Select as a Walkabout controller? The Select power supply should be removed of course.

poliss said:

Have you tried a different decoder? Check that the pins on the decoder aren't projecting through the bottom of the socket in the loco and short circuiting. Also check that no wires got fouled or damaged when you replaced the

body shell.
What are you using to connect the controllers to the track? If using a power clip or power track they must be the digital versions as the analogue types have a capacitor fitted which confuses the DCC 'signal'.

You do know that you can

plug the Select into the Elite and use the Select as a Walkabout controller? The Select power supply should be removed of course.

Archived