R7399 & R7400 Magnetic Couplings

If you're specifically after magnetic couplings, the Hornby products are 'a finished product', but Hunt Couplings also sell lots of different NEM pocket mounted couplings.

Their quality has increased in the last couple of years - I have had some pull the magnets out, others not fit (too big) or not fit (too small) in the NEM pockets.

Al.

If you're specifically after magnetic couplings, the Hornby products are 'a finished product', but Hunt Couplings also sell lots of different NEM pocket mounted couplings.

Their quality has increased in the last couple of years - I have had some pull the magnets out, others not fit (too big) or not fit (too small) in the NEM pockets.

Al.

I already have a variety of hunt couplings which have been good for shorter rakes, but on larger ones I have found them unreliable. The Hornby ones looked to have a bit more strength in them.

Sorry I don’t understand what you mean by “finished product” if you could explain for me?

Cheers

I pre ordered some of these and they got delivered. I don't think they had many as I am sure I ordered two packs and only got one. Yes they are are a much better product than the Hunt couplings. I first saw them on a carriage I ordered. That is what really annoys me about Hornby come up with something really good and then don't make enough. It is not as if they are locos that cost a lot to produce. It seems to be a philosophy from the 1960s where you try and engineer a shortage.

They have definitely been issued. I had several packets on pre-order and they were delivered toward the beginning of Feb. Looks like they have sold out. Hope some more will be produced otherwise it's going to be a waste of time using them.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of changing over to the new Hornby magnetic couplers and discarding the Hunt ones, of course, this depends on when thy become availble.

But can someone please clarify the 20mm. Is this from the contact face of the magnets to the end face of the NEM pocket that stops the fish tail part from going any further into the pocket ?

I would greatly appreciate your help.

rgds

Laurie