Hornby Select Speed Step & Acc & Dec

geochoice

Hi.

Another question please,I have got the Seelct controller running OK, in the booklet it gives Acc + Dec facilities, this is fine I can access them but wha are the parameters? Reason for asking is most the lococ I have run fine acc + dec to my

liking but I have a problem with a B*****n Tank which has DCC standard fit on board. I like to get movement when I turn the controller and stop fairly quickly when turning controller off. All I seem to get is a long delay moving off and it keeps running when

stopping. Also just wondered if this was connected to the speed step and if I alter that will it address the rapid speed it takes off at and also the deceleration. Just can't seem to get this one right as the loco goes off like a grand prix car aftera delay

moving and then doesn't want to stop.Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Polis may well be right. The Select is not NMRA compliant for a start. However, I would follow the instructions to make sure that the decoder is on 128 steps speed control, which should stop it from jumping away at great speed. Then I would set both Acceleration

and Deceleration to 5(that's the default values for the R8249) and see how it goes. If it accelerates or decelerates too fast, I'd increase the corresponding number to 10 and try it. If it does either too slowly, I'd decrease the number by a couple and try

again.

Polis may well be right. The Select is not NMRA compliant for a start. However, I would follow the instructions to make sure that the decoder is on 128 steps speed control, which should stop it from jumping away at great speed. Then I would set both Acceleration

and Deceleration to 5(that's the default values for the R8249) and see how it goes. If it accelerates or decelerates too fast, I'd increase the corresponding number to 10 and try it. If it does either too slowly, I'd decrease the number by a couple and try

again.

again.

again.

again.

again.

again.

again.

again.

again.

poliss said:

You need the Elite as this is what Hornby says about the Select.
* N.B. certain US manufactured decoders are not suitable for use with the Hornby Select unit due to their inability to conform to EMC requirements.

Seem

to have found a balance now, it is going well and slows down and accelerates as I want thanks.

As a matter of interest I know you love and I loathe the elite and I have reverted back to the select what are the parameters for acc and dec if I use a Hornby

Loco? and the speed step I presume the less steps the quicker it reaches speed.

This is Hornby's forum geochoice. I can only talk about two DCC controllers on here. The Select and the Elite. I can't talk about the DCC controller I use.

The Elite is NMRA compliant. The Select is not. It's about time Hornby made a new version of

the Select which is NMRA compliant.

Speed steps: Early decoders only had 14 speed steps and therefore acc/dec was jerky. Modern decoders have either 28 or 128 speed steps making acc/dec smoother.

See this page for a full explanation of speed steps.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn2/DCC.htm#SpdSteps

Fishmanoz said:

Polis may well be right. The Select is not NMRA compliant for a start. However, I would follow the instructions to make sure that the decoder is on 128 steps speed control, which should stop it from jumping away at great speed.

Then I would set both Acceleration and Deceleration to 5(that's the default values for the R8249) and see how it goes. If it accelerates or decelerates too fast, I'd increase the corresponding number to 10 and try it. If it does either too slowly, I'd decrease

the number by a couple and try again.
All that fish was just a bit too much!

poliss said:

This is Hornby's forum geochoice. I can only talk about two DCC controllers on here. The Select and the Elite. I can't talk about the DCC controller I use.
The Elite is NMRA compliant. The Select is not. It's about time Hornby

made a new version of the Select which is NMRA compliant.
Speed steps: Early decoders only had 14 speed steps and therefore acc/dec was jerky. Modern decoders have either 28 or 128 speed steps making acc/dec smoother.
See this page for a full explanation

of speed steps.
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn2/DCC.htm#SpdSteps

Thanks that helps, what about the Riviera jumping off curved points, any thoughts?

poliss said:

Probably sardines. You know how much they repeat on you.
there I was wondering how this thread got to so many posts in such a short time and it was me. Apologies all, finger problem with the iPad and the site last night.

It appeared to be doing nothing, so I pressed the post button again didn't I, and again, and .......

Archived