Railroad MK1 coaches

I’m looking for a mk1 brake coach in a maroon livery. Not too fussed if it’s BCK or BSK or any other combo. I’m no expert on this area.

I’ve had a look at the railroad and main range versions and I’m not seeing too much difference between them. The railroad versions are popping up at less that half the price of the main range so I’m wondering, what is actually missing on the railroad models?

The differences may relate to when the original coach was produced.

1. Often there are moulded door handles - not separately fitted / more cleanly moulded.
  2. May have plastic wheels, not metal.
  3. Moulded plastic buffers, not sprung metal.
  4. Glazing is normally upgraded to near-flush on the 'better quality' item.
  5. Some additional printed details may be missing on the Railroad items.

Al.

My current main range mk1’s have moulded details and plastic unsprung buffers. Looks like the extra price is for metal wheels and a few transfers. Think I’ll go down the railroad route. Cheers!

Railroad is more resilient because it doesn't have lots of separately fitted parts, so its ideal for the younger generation who might be a little more hamfisted when handling them.

However, current manufacturing of moulded details is much better today than it was in older models, so if you are going with a modern Railroad you might not notice most of the differences compared to more expensive models.

I have to be very careful of handling my Accurascale locos, coaches and rolling stock given they all have loads of separately fitted parts. This is why they are more expensive, but they look a lot more realistic compared to Railroad.

Railroad models are more robust and don't have a lot of the detail, but you aint going to notice that while the train is going round. At the much cheaper price as well, its a bit more affordable to get them, and Railroad carriges are generally good runners.

XYZ