Commanding newer purchases of the HORNBY 'Elite' using homemade MS Visual Basic 6 Pro/Enterprise source code.

I have a fairly new HORNBY 'Elite' on loan from a friend and wish to command it using my own source code written in VB as above. Obviously, there are connection issues involved here and I'd like to hear from anybody who has achieved this goal, particularly

how they do it. I have nearly 20yrs experience of BASIC and a fairly wide understanding of using it to control DCC systems via the comm. ports, particularly the serial port. It seems 'RAILMASTER' itself is written in VB, although I don't propose using it because

what you write yourself is more fun and far more challenging.

Railmaster is not an open-source project so there is not a lot of information that will be forthcoming about how it works.

If you are interested in developing your own code then I suggest that jmri is a good place to start. this is an open-source

project which supports the elite. you can download the code. It is written in java and can be accessed via jython.

btw - 20 years of using basic is a pretty cruel and unusual punishment!

Gregd99 said:

Railmaster is not an open-source project so there is not a lot of information that will be forthcoming about how it works.

If you are interested in developing your own code then I suggest that jmri is a good place to

start. this is an open-source project which supports the elite. you can download the code. It is written in java and can be accessed via jython.

btw - 20 years of using basic is a pretty cruel and unusual punishment!

Thanks v. much Gregd99 I'll follow your suggestion. Actually 11 yrs of the BASIC time has already been spent writing 'SMARTRAX' for both DC and DCC systems. I guess it's a case of "one man'a meat ..." because I'm thoroughly enjoying myself and it's

so heartening when somebody helps me get a bit further. The above executable was designed for LENZ LZV100 box and Li101F modem (superb documentation p.d.f. made it possible) but the 'Elite' is much cheaper, hence the attraction to it.

Archived