Lamborghini Huracán - the build

Ratch

This is the brand new 1/43 Huracán by Airfix.

53151673700_02d9d094a5_c.jpg

This build will be strictly out of the box, only using paints and glue provided. It will be entirely brush painted to demonstrate basic techniques for the beginner. Experienced modellers will have developed their own techniques and styles to enhance the model in their own way.

The dashboard was painted before fitting. 

53166688844_7286b1cae5_z.jpg

The body shell was assembled next, with painting on-going. 

53166688834_ba3787b1de_z.jpg

You may have read in the past that the paints offered in these Gift Sets are only good for rifle target practice. This is plainly untrue. They may not be of the highest quality (such paints would probably increase the RRP considerably), but they are perfectly adequate in their coverage and suitable for the novice modeller to learn with at an affordable price.

53166688829_506edf807d_z.jpg

We now come to the worst bit of the build, trying to get the body shell onto the chassis. 

53173329364_37f9b27ee9_z.jpg

I suspect it was to do with the areas that were pre-painted – I’ve had problems like this on previous Airfix new tool builds. The layer of paint puts the fit out. While the rear end slotted in nicely, there was a huge gap at the front that needed squeezing to marry the edges. In doing so I got glue on the windscreen, the driver’s A pillar snapped, the passenger side wing mirror snapped off, and the front (B20) became unglued. 

53173616633_f748843bf9_z.jpg

In trying to save the windscreen I destroyed the paintwork on the bonnet. 

53172536862_f604f3236e_z.jpg

If I was a real starter at modelling, this would probably have put me off, but I’m used to setbacks like this and persevered (isn’t that what modelling is about – finding solutions to problems).

This appears to be a cursed kit. This morning, when I picked it out the box to start work, I noticed that the passenger side wing mirror, that I had glued back on yesterday, was missing, and no sign of it anywhere. The gap at the sills is still there too.

53173991077_490cf2c95d_z.jpg

The clarity of the windscreen improved a little by rubbing various nail buffers, but still cloudy.

53174586676_89a2020551_z.jpg

53174586651_b5cd2313b9_z.jpg

I brushed a coat of Klear, and then applied the decals.

53199441645_328f258c5d_c.jpg

This was not a happy build for me, but I’d try another to see if I can rectify my errors. The concept of these 1/43 starter sets is sound. Minimal parts for the novice modeller, paints, glue, and brush provided make for a weekend afternoon build (just how I started modelling). I hope that potential builders will not be put off by my pig’s ear, as I know other modellers are doing a much better job with this kit.

• 6 months later...

Hi Ratch,

I'm late to the party but I am just finishing the Huracan build for myself. The problems of fit come from 2 places: the buttresses behind the seats need to be narrower by  chamfering, then both doors need thinning near the top. I also had to shave off some materia over the front wheel arch where the dash attaches. I had a good fit without the doors which is why I realised they were the main problem. 

I decided on an orange body but then oatmeal leather seats.

thanks for sharing,

mark

• Like 1

• 1 month later...