No help need, just feel cheated!

Kyle-366152

I had model trains when I was a kid thanks to my nan buying me a few sets, kind of lost interest in my late teens but in recent months I've been getting back into them and so I decided to buy a new set and got myself a Flying Scotsman set but feel cheated as I know the older set used to come with 4 carriages and the rear wheels of the 4-6-2 engine actually touched the track and were on a moving axel whereas the new models rear wheels are on an axel but are tucked up inside the body and don't actually contact the track which makes me feel a bit cheated as I always thought these models were exact replicas of the real engines

Hi Kyle, Welcome to the forum.

Many engines come with a super detailing pack. The super detailing pack may have flanged wheels for the back axle, so that they will look right. The non flanged trailing axle is to try to improve running on tight curves.Also, these days, I think 3 carriges is the standard length of most sets.

XYZ

If you read the detailed descriptions of the Flying Scotsman it didn't have a pony truck like the old models had. Hornby have modelled it as best they can. I must admit I have loads of these locos and I definitely don't feel cheated by the way Hornby have modelled it.

Hello Kyle

As this is your first post, I would like to say "Welcome Aboard!"

Many folks who come here for the first time, think they are speaking to Hornby. Strange as it may seem, Hornby does not monitor these pages.

If you would like to express your displeasure directly to Hornby, you will need to contact customerservices.uk@hornby.com

Or

customercare@hornby.com

As others have mentioned by now, precise duplication of models cannot be performed because the model simply will not go around the curves on your layout. The broad curves required would be far beyond what the average enthusiast could ever dream of.

As to content of your set, I would urge you to examine the description and photographs with extraordinary care. Hornby does state what is included, but sometimes, a magical decoder ring is required (nah, just kidding. Hornby tells you)

Now what follows is completely unsolicited, old man advice. Who doesn't love a curmudgeon with a keyboard, telling you what to do, how to act, what to think! Seriously, who doesn't love that. Here it is: play trains. Get lost in the majesty of the Flying Scotsman! Dream of your locomotive. Watch the valve gear. Maybe get a few more cars if it suits your fancy.

But most of all, have fun!

Bee

Hi Kyle and good to hear your getting back into the hobby.

There are so many changes and compromises in the hobby to allow us to 'approximate' a representation of the real railways. The current Scottie is pretty accurate as far as models go taking into account the nature of the scale. Wait until you discover the OO scale/gauge discrepancy and you'll realise they will never be exact replicas.

But it is great fun..................sunglasses

Hi Kyle,

Welcome to the forum. You can pick up a few extra LNER carriages to match the ones you've got very cheaply off ebay. If patient, you can easily pick up 3 for around £20.

As for the rear pony truck, like you I prefer the older pivoting version, but many other modellers feel differently. The pivoting version is no more realistic than the newer model. I believe that the rear "Cartazzi" truck on the real Flying Scotsman only allows a very small amount of sideways movement within a fixed outer frame (probably about an inch, possibly less, but maybe an expert on full size Gresley Pacifics may be able to give us a proper answer). If the model was an exact replica of the real thing, the minimum radius for curves on your layout would be somewhere between 10 and 15 feet!