Tiger or Lion service sheets

Joshua-348227

Back in February, I did indeed have an email exchange with Hornby on this matter. I requested the service sheet for Lion. This was the response

÷÷÷

Thank you for your email. We do have a service sheet for the Lion/Tiger engine, however at the moment I am not 100% sure that it is for publication as it has not been uploaded to the website. If you could let me know if you have a specific part enquiry I'd be happy to look into if for you, and if you are after it more for general interest it will be uploaded to the website as soon as it is signed off. 

÷÷÷

Going Spare,

As you have knowledge of the process, would you mind informing us what the approval process generally looks like?

Bee

@bee - My direct dealings are now almost 7 years in the past but, as far as I know, Service Sheets are drawn up within the Spares Dept (whose long-serving lead officer passed away a year ago causing the first 'upheaval'). From comments made to me it then had to go to the now departed Brand Manager for approval and then on to the 3rd party IT people for incorporation in the website and to someone within Hornby to issue hard copies internally and to the main Spares Dealers.

In the recent past, some unofficially issued provisional sheets have been obtained by, and published on the website of one of the major spares suppliers but they are even more inaccurate than some of the official issues.

I do not know where the delays occur but, as is obvious, there are many, many sheets outstanding, both for new product and amendments/upgrades to existing product or corrections to same. A recent calculation indicated that, since production moved to China, there are around 400 locomotives (singles, train packs and sets, but excluding the generic 0-4-0T) that have never been specified on a service sheet.

As an example of current delays, the sheet for the latest version of the class 91 loco (sheet 455) is dated October 2020 but was not issued, I believe, until some time last year. It has been known to be incorrect within Hornby from soon after its release but it is still to be corrected. I do not know what happened to sheet 455A as it never saw the public light of day. Corrected sheet 455B exists within Hornby but is still held up by the clogged issue system. I have not done a meticulous check but I think I am correct in saying the latest sheet to have been published is dated April 2022.

It would be interesting to know whether the Scalextric service sheet system works any better.