9f and a crumbling chassis

Tom-367316

the pickup plate screws fit well, the pony wheelset screw is spot on and the body mount screw is correct. There are a few places where the new chassis is larger and other points where it is smaller. The back body mount is 1.1mm deeper than the original and this may need to be corrected for the tender connections to be right, but still sits at the same ride height against the original. The bearing heights are correct if the chassis is placed alongside and offered up with the body on, but the buffer height on the loco is 1mm higher than the tender, although they do look a little bit upturned, probably due to the slowly expanding mazak chassis. The valve gear bracket hole needs to be drilled and tapped as i said in the earlier post, and i have to aquire a set of 8BA taps to sort that.

This has always looked a strange loco with the body so high from the running gear and with the lower body panel fitted it looks a bit better. I'm not a steam fan at all, so i'm not familiar with this model but it seems a well made model overall. Ramseys have it identified as R2248 and made in 02-04 and numbered 92239, also comparing it to their picture it looks very similar.

• 3 months later...