Couplers : Availability

Gary-359000

Latest TT:120 couplings are standardised, they generally follow the new Tillig close coupling standard and different versions of this standard all ‘should’ work together. Latest models (all Hornby) use a standardised NEM pocket so swapping between couplings is very straightforward. The most common issue is when height varies beyond the standard or kinematic system doesn’t centre correctly. So far Hornby seem to have this element absolutely nailed, better some of the established Continental brands

Latest TT:120 couplings are standardised, they generally follow the new Tillig close coupling standard and different versions of this standard all ‘should’ work together. Latest models (all Hornby) use a standardised NEM pocket so swapping between couplings is very straightforward. The most common issue is when height varies beyond the standard or kinematic system doesn’t centre correctly. So far Hornby seem to have this element absolutely nailed, better some of the established Continental brands

I really like how they look running but I haven’t found the coupling operation foolproof (hold the obvious jokes). Don’t always centre properly so having the height correct doesn’t help. I recognize these pieces are delicate but it does mean I’m looking at replacement with a magnetic solution even if it does require a “hand of higher power” uncoupling solution

BR, if the Hornby couplings are not centring very well, just try adjusting the retaining plate, all Hornby rolling stock has this screwed to the chassis of coach/wagon. The parts seem very well made, I haven’t found any excess flash so far, but ensuring the retainer is not too tight does seem to help without affecting the coupling shank height.