Flangeless pony truck wheels.

ColinB

I suppose this is me moaning but I thought I would share the experience with others just in case they fall into the same hole. I bought a Duchess loco off EBay with no tender. No issue, I have enough bits to make a tender although I am still looking for the proper tender top (black one that fits the black City of Leicester). Anyway convert it to modern spec so the decoder is in the tender and then try to run it. It seemed to derail at the same point on my layout. Adjust the back to back spacing and still it derails. Then I found it, someone had removed the flangeless pony truck wheels and replaced them with the flanged type. This is the second loco that has had this issue. Of course Hornby don't have a part number for this part so buying a replacement is out of the question. Fortunately they do a Princess one so I assume that is roughly the same. The thing that surprises me is it only derailed on one curve. I assume its previous owner only had straight track.

Must admit I've had loads of similarly specced Pacifics - MN, Coronations (8), A4's, A3's ... and never encountered this issue.

I thought you were going to mention that the flangeless wheels were 'drooping' - a bit too low - quite common I've found, but an easy fix.

Al.