Building the 1/48 Gannet

Ratch

I have airbrushed another coat of Klear to protect the decals. I then returned to step 102 and fitted the undercarriage. 

53414634504_34bbf29084_z.jpg

I now had to decide upon the weapons load. I opted for the two Mk.30 torpedoes and five Sonobuoys and secured them. 

53413386147_5dcc63b251_z.jpg

The bomb bay door were fitted after the load. I was not going to glue the arrester hook, but it was necessary. I also fixed the radome. The exhausts were painted gunmetal grey with a little gunmetal blue that I hope suggests discolouration because of heat.

53414634509_d17ba05eb7_z.jpg

I chose to spray a mix of Klear and Matt varnish. I wanted a slightly glossy finish. Many of the images I’ve seen suggest these aircraft were well maintained and kept clean, so that’s how I want this one. With the varnish applied I could remove the masking from canopies and wing tips and fit the canopy sections. I returned to steps 70 & 72 and added the clear parts. Then I assembled the folded wings and painted the windscreen wiper.

53413387232_b0044520df_c.jpg

Conclusion: Now it is complete I can hardly recall any problems. It is so satisfying to have done this kit that it was truly worth the effort put in. I know I don’t build to the standards that other modellers achieve, but I’m more than happy with the outcome, and I suspect that many other average modellers will be happy with what they can do with this kit. I do not count myself as a 1/48 modeller, preferring 1/72, but with this and the 1/48 Sea King I could be converted. The level of detail is wonderful. These latest Airfix kits are very well designed, so congratulations must go to the R&D boys. Thanks to Airfix for giving me the opportunity to build this kit. As I said, it’s not one I would have chosen because of the scale, but having done so I can highly recommend it.