When buying a 2nd hand Loco / Rolling Stock - Don't trust what it say on the side of the box!

JJ73

Yes that's right - I also bought a 0-6-0 Loco & according to the side of the box it was a 0-6-0T J72 Class Tank Loco in LNER Livery - but it looked more like a 3F Jinty Class in a Black BR Livery!!!, also yrs ago - dare I says decades ago I bought a Mainline Carriage & today I found out by looking on the bottom it was actually made by Airfix & not by Mainline!!! See my Video :-

Thank you πŸš‚

JJ - that is a J72 loco, albeit as you say in BR rather than LNER livery, dating from 1981. Its correct catalogue number is 37-070.

Palitoy (Mainline) took over the Airfix GMR range in 1981 and your GWR Centenary coach was probably produced at about that time either by Airfix and packaged in a Mainline box or by Palitoy before the Airfix name was erased from the tooling.

The J72 eventually passed to Bachmann while the Centenary coach came to Hornby via Dapol.

You didn't check the contents of the box before buying? Never buy anything without verifying it is indeed what you expect.

Honestly this sort of thing happens all the time. Someone cannot find the original box, makes a genuine mistake when boxing up for selling, someone packs models in whatever boxes they can find as part of selling off a deceased person's estate etc. without knowing anything about the models to be able to match to the correct box.

Hello Going Spare

Close what it say on the side of the box Ref No. - 37-054 - I've made a note of the correct number thanks & I'll add your info to my Vid thanks πŸ˜‰

Topcat - er okπŸ™‚

Ntp - Well sorry but it's a bit late for the advice but in saying that - I'll try & remember that for next time thou!!! But when buying from my Local Model Shop - I do tend to trust them - but I did ask them to show me that both models worked ok b4 I bought them - the J72 work fine & the 4-6-2 Coronation - he told me he had it running for 3 hrs in the Morning!!!πŸ™‚

πŸš‚