close coupling, stirling single, Sir Sam Fay, revamped Dean singles

rayarpino

The German firms have been doing if for donkeys, so let's have a universal close coupling system on ALL Hornby engines and rolling stock. Engines could have a pocket that would accomodate a bar and hook coupling so nobody is left out. And as for new models,

isn't time we had a Stirling single, Henry Oakley and last but not least, a revamped super-detailed model of that most elegant of engines, the Dean Single. Retirement is now long overdue for the old Triang version and its many facelifts. I still have a "been

in the wars" Triang version that was converted to run on Märklin (pick-up ski underneath the tender) as a visitor, then converted back to two rail again, still using the old XO motor (though it has had a rewind, remag and new brushes several times, a bit like

grandad's original hammer! Greetings to all.
Rayarpino (LNER)

All new Hornby stock uses standard NEM pockets (which the tension-lock couplers clip into), so surely you can fit whatever coupling system you fancy into that? It is an international standard after all. If you're suggesting ditching NEM pockets in favour

of something else then I don't think there's much chance of that happening I'm afraid!

I agree on the Singles locos, but I expect the reason they're being ignored is that they can't be turned out in BR livery, which is the most popular modelling period,

far more so than the Big-4 or pre-grouping. Tooling up a new high-detail loco costs hundreds of thousands of pounds these days, and I imagine Hornby don't consider it a worthy enough investment if they think the market will be too small. Perhaps someone will

commission one from another manufacture though, as happened with City of Truro. :)

Good morning Skycube,

Thank you for your reaction. Shame on me!I hadn't quite noticed. What about the old type goods wagons though, or the Railroad range?
I am fully aware of the cost of tooling and would and could not pay the prices those of

us who model German steam, for instance. When I mentioned the Stirling single, I was actually thinking of a special NRM edition. In the meantime I am building my own from an old unassembled Kitmaster kit, making my own chassis out of metal. Wheels will be

obtained and all the molded bits shaved off to be replaced by the bits and pieces supplied by the trade. More a about this (much) later. Hope you have a lovely sunday.
Rayarpino (LNER)

Hi Rayarpino

It is true that many older designs, such as those in the Railroad range, do not have NEM pockets, which is unfortunate. You can almost always fit NEM pocket yourself however, even if it does need a bit of hacking and gluing!

Nice

to hear about your Stirling, come back and post pics when it's done! :)

I believe the Thomas character 'Emily' should have been based on a Stirling Single, but Hornby have chosen to use the Lord of the Isles as a basis for this instead. This suggests to me that the likelyhood of a Stirling Single from Hornby is low.

Singles

are a problem in model form to obtain adequate traction. Tri-ang overcame this with Magnadhesion, but modern Nickel Silver track negates the usefulness of this. Traction tyres and lots of weight go part way to solving the problem, but in truth tender drive

is probable the better option.

There are a number of handsome singles, not least the Midland 'Spinner', and the Caley 123.

For me 'the most elegant of locomotives' is a toss up between the 'Dean Single' and the Midland 'Spinner'

A new single would be welcome with 6 wheel tender drive, as has been said loco drive singles lack haulage power mimicing the full sized locos which lacked haulage power due to all power being directed to that single big wheelset. Demand for such a model

will play a big part, with so few R-T-R stock to run behind the locos, it will affect demand.

True! The trouble is you get purists that must have a single wheeler driven from it's single wheelset as per the full sized beast, must be a nightmare for Hornby on how to please everyone with single wheelers.

I favour either a tender motor or the

better option of driving the trailing wheelset as well as the main wheelset.

Paul(Jnr)
Long live the M&GNJR and GER

It must be a nightmare for Hornby trying to please as many people as possible, on everything not just Single wheelers

They listen to people who want extra detail and decent modern motors, bring them in and then get castigated because they've 'moved

on' rather than remain set in the sixties

They probably think it's like marriage - can't win!!!

A Large Director would also be useful for Scottish fans, as there was a batch built by the LNER for use in Scotland and carried Scottish names. One of the big Pacific tanks would make a splendid model too.

Yep would need the rolling stock. Thinking about singles how about one of the rather handsome Sacre' 2-2-2 singles of 1882 in ML&SR livery? or the GCR Politt 4-2-2 single with it's 7ft 9" driving wheels. A GC coke wagon is a start that's for sure!

Some

NB stuff would be good too, maybe even the "Diver", the rather austere and gaunt looking Wheatley 4-4-0 number 224 that took a plunge with the first Tay Bridge.

• 1 month later...
The 'K' tank could be part of a series based upon the SECR 'N' 2-6-0. Woolwich Arsenal built a load of 'N' class after WW1 and sold them eithefr as locomotives or parts to various railways includuing the Southern who bought 50. The Irish Railways bought

some, and the Metropolitan did too, but assembled them as tank engines, not unlike the Southern 'W' class 2-6-4T. The 'K's were two cylinder machines, and the 'W;'s had 3. The 'K's eventually transferred to the LNER after 1933 as the M3 class. The SECR also

built some 2-6-4T based on the 'N' concept, but with larger wheels. The class was rebuilt to tender engines after No 800 jumped off the line in 1927 and killed a number of passengers. It was concluded that the locomotives could be unstable at speed on indifferent

track. These became Southern class 'U' 2-6-0s.

Archived