Bringing a Hornby R305 'Duchess of Abercorn' Back from the dead - Help Requested

Scott-374481

Greetings to all,

I'm trying to resurect my original Hornby R305 ' Duchess of Abercorn', which I've had since Christmas 1981.

It's spent the last forty years in 'storage' and it's time to return to the (new) rails powered by the original H&M Duette (DC Controller).

I've cleaned all the wheels & contacts when it's in a service craddle with power taken straight to one of the Locomotive wheels and the middle (Non-drive) Tender wheel the motor runs and teh wheels turn.

However when it's on teh track it sounds like the motor is racing and the wheels are slipping, I've tried rougghing up the Traction Tyres with some Emery Board to no avail.

Can anyone offer some guidance on how to resolve this issue?

Many thanks for reading this far.

Scott

From the description, perhaps something in the gear train is slipping.

That is, with no restricting friction on the wheels, loco in craddle, the wheels will turn. The moment there is some restriction, loco placed on track, the motor turns the gear train without turning the wheels.

Place the loco back in cradle. With the slightest of touch on the driving wheels, look for slippage. DO NOT USE TREMENDOUS FORCE.

Bee

If the spur gear on the motor shaft is a silver colour, it may no longer be gripping the motor shaft and needs replacing with a brass gear S2290. This slipping on the shaft allows the motor to race without achieving much, if any, movement. I would also consider replacing the traction tyres as they also may have expanded and are no longer gripping the wheel.

If none of the above improves the situation, push the loco (without its tender) with a finger to feel for any unexpected resistance. Lubricant on the axles where they pass through the main and bogie blocks may have congealed or the valvegear rodding may be catching or moving stiffly.

However when it's on the track it sounds like the motor is racing and the wheels are slipping,

I missed this in the initial review of the problem, focusing instead on the "motor is racing"

Rather, the important bit is that "the wheels are slipping". From this, I infer that the wheels continue to turn, but they are slipping. Wheels that do not turn, cannot slip.

My current line of thought is that the wheels are turning inside the traction tires. With the wheels held steady, it will be possible to rotate the tires relative to the wheels, if the line of reasoning is correct. Little torque will be required.

Scott mentions 1981. A tire could easily have relaxed in the past 42 years.

Bee

Two things when mine did roughly the same. As everyone says traction tyres then as Going Spare says check the loco itself is moving freely. On my one it was the cylinder chest mounting was split (it is plastic so becomes brittle) meaning that the valve gear wasn't moving properly, so the whole loco was literally sliding on the track with the wheels locked. With the traction tyres make sure you get exactly the right ones, I found that made a big difference. Barrie Davis of Cranworth Model Railway video recommends buying Marklin ones, he seems to think that they are better. In the end I converted mine to loco drive (the old body still fits), far less hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to all,

I have now serviced my Duchess of Abercorn (New Traction Tyres, Brushes and Springs) as well as cleaning and regreasing/oiling all the bits that should move.

When I apply power via Croc Clips to one of the Locomotive wheels and one of the Tender wheels the motor runs really well.

Unfortunately when I place it on the track there's lots of sparks from the Locomotive wheels but no power is getting to the motor.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading this far.

Scott

Check that the tender wheels are all the same way and opposing the loco wheels. Use a meter with the loco and tender connected. It laying on its side. Loco left wheels should be continuous with tender left wheels, ditto right side wheels. Check every axle as you likely have one revered.

Amplifying 96RAF's advice, check the front and rear loco driving wheelsets if you have had the loco chassis dismantled. On each of those wheelsets, one wheel is live to the axle and the opposing one is insulated. (Both wheels on the centre wheelset are insulated so it does not matter which way round that wheelset is placed in the chassis.) The insulated wheels have a normally black ring visible between the centre of the wheel and the axle. The insulated wheels on the loco should be on the opposite side to the tyred (insulated) wheels on the tender.