Class 9F

Steven-370132

DCC Ready means it's currently a DC loco but has been designed with a simple way of converting to DCC. Nowadays that means it has a socket from which you remove a DC plate and plug in a decoder. In former times it meant the motor and lights are electrically separate from the the chassis and a decoder can be fitted by maybe removing some jumpers, changing switches,or cutting circuit board tracks, and then soldering the wires from a decoder into place.

If the loco already has a decoder fitted you would expect it to be described as "DCC Fitted" or similar.

Generally, DCC fitted locos can still be run on DC but their driving characteristics will be different as they require a few volts in the track for the decoder to "wake up" and recognise it is receiving DC power but no DCC signal.

@Steven can you (or an admin) update the topic title to better reflect the question being asked, maybe something like "DCC Ready Class 9F ok on analogue DC?"

I assume that looking at the post, you haven't bought the 9F yet. Hornby do a 9F (R30132TXS) that is sound fitted which is extremely good value for money because you effectively get the sound decoder for about £30 more than a 9F not fitted with a decoder. If you bought the Hornby sound decoder it would cost at least £60.00 and it saves all the hassle of fitting it, a normal decoder is going to cost at least £20 plus.

For any sound-fitted DCC locomotive, I would check-out actual videos and the adjustment possibilities fine-print.

For me, incorrect 'chuffs' of most proprietary 'Sound' steam locomotives would annoy me too much, so I stay away.

There are variants where this can be fine-tuned, but they're much more expensive.

I've seen videos of TTS locomotives which should 'chuff' 6 times per main driver revolution (3 cylinder locomotives, like Gresley and Bulleid Pacifics), but chuff 1.5 times at speed, 4 times at moderate speed and 5-6 times at a crawl.

Al.

All I was pointing out is the sound fitted option is great value, compared with the non sound fitted option. Even if you bought the non sound 9F and a non sound decoder it would cost you nearly as much. Then at some later stage if chuff rate annoyed you could upgrade to the more expensive sound decoder. The Hornby would still be worth £30 second hand. To be honest I have an Eventing Star with a Zimo sound decoder and the Hornby sound fitted 9F, there is a difference but the Hornby one is perfectly ok. At full price for the Hornby HW7000, then perhaps not but for £30 increase over a non fitted loco then to me it is a good deal. My Zimo sound decoder was £120 not including speaker.