New 4-VEP arrived?

M. Matthews

This is one of the releases that I’ve been waiting on so I’m aware that Hornby are saying expected arrival date of Winter 2023/2024.

On a random search, this eBay listing has popped up although raised some suspicion in myself as I’ve not heard anything of these arriving yet?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126249327159?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=9IlcIQYcQZy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=fiOljGoHRmG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Have I missed something here?

I had a careful look at the listing and the seller.

Of the 12 images in the listing, only the first two are novel, the remaining 10 are lifted directly from Hornby's pages. The first two show a box, but note the background. Carpet and cardboard are definitely not a Hornby standard. The implication is that the seller has the box [or has gone to extraordinary expense to mock up a Hornby look alike].

The seller has fairly good marks. Been around for 6+ years. Lots of positive feedback, with no negatives and only 1 neutral. Someone didn't get something, so the money was refunded. That's reasonable. If you are really interested, I have found that asking a question of the seller weeds out all the scammers, they do not respond.

The last thing I note is the price. It is 99p less than Hornby's price!! That is indeed odd for an eBay seller. Mostly, they try to profit from transaction. Further, the postage is free.

From all this, I conclude that the seller has somehow managed to obtain one. How? Why? I cannot say, but this has all the hallmarks of a valid listing.

If 99p and free postage is the difference on a £362 item, sure, go for it. If it were me, I'd wait on Hornby. If the seller has one, soon you will too.

Bee

You’re definitely right in that it’s the first two images that almost make it look legitimate. The other thing that struck me as being odd was that the box image doesn’t show any cab ends which I’m sure all the previous 4VEP have done. Message sent to seller anyway, I’ll be interested to see the reply!

Something similar happened with a Terrier Train Pack of mine.

I had the item on pre-order for several months, then it released, I received mine, but it instantly went to unavailable on the website. Then some time after that it went back to pre-order only. Only after a few more months passing did it go to available to purchase.

This is the only item I have encountered this with. Not saying that’s what’s happening with this listing, just might be something to do with train packs.

Edit: I’ve had two locos arrive recently that were both set for winter 2023/2024, which officially started on the 22nd of December, both arrived before their stated release date, so early releases are happening.