Grandson's Train set for Christmas 2024........

auditdata

So I have a number of DCC trains that my grandson likes to control with his iPhone via JMRI WiTrottle. So for next Christmas I want to buy him a starter train-set. I can't seem to find a set that is DCC and OO scale. The Hornby TT1002TXSM The Easterner Train Set - Digital (Sound Fitted) fits the bill but is Table Top Scale. It uses the HM7000 which I am familiar with and he can use his iPhone via Hornby’s app. 

It seems a good way to get into DCC via WiFi but there seems to be no OO scale equivalent and I might want to to give him some of my own OO scale locos. So a) is there an OO scale equivalent train set controllable via iPhone. b) can I just buy a Hornby train set and add a HM7000 decoder and are any of their sets DCC ready?

Thanks 

You can buy any DCC train set but it will have a DCC controller so economically you are better buying a DC train set which will be ready to fit a 7000 decoder. You can buy a 4-amp power supply and adaptor cable to go with it. Toss the analogue controller as it will be poor quality anyhow and not needed for app control.

Hi Audit Data

If the listing says "DCC Ready", this means there is a blanking plug.

The blanking plug is used for DC.

To convert to DCC / HM7000, you remove the blanking plug and install the decoder.

Bee

Edit: ...which is easy to do. There are some exceptions. Tiny locomotives, like Rocket, may not have enough room for HM7000.

Hopefully the knowledge gained from launching TT HM DCC sets will have inspired Hornby to roll out the concept into OO, the idea of starter sets and digital is so well suited to a new generation of modellers, dare I say with modern type trains.

I think you are 100% correct. The new kids are mobile phone ready and a DC basic set won't cut it.