The Aeronauts and the Mirage 111C

jopres57

Looking online a while ago I noticed an after-market decal sheet by Berna Decals that included markings for several Mirage 111C’s in 1/72 scale. A couple of these depicted aircraft that were filmed during the TV series ‘The Aeronauts’ from the early seventies, anyone else remember this? It was originally a French series, but I understand about nineteen episodes were dubbed into English and shown on the BBC. As an aircraft mad youngster at the time the programme, showing the adventures of a French jet squadron, was a favourite of mine. I think the Mirage 111 was an exceptional warplane and would have made a better NATO aircraft than the Starfighter under different circumstances.

The Airfix Mirage 111C is an elderly kit but still looks good and hopefully it will re-appear as a Vintage Classic at some point. The top picture is an Aeronauts machine in Berna decals, with a modified ordnance load but otherwise out of the box. 

forum_image_6590ebafc8730.thumb.png.a0d3d4d2b2b87a97bc1fa5428d33b6da.png

The next picture also has after-market decals and a different weapon load.

forum_image_6590ebb9f1e92.thumb.png.8c7ac4cd153e0bb13f0c75bcf5cd4a30.png

Next two are straight out of the box.

forum_image_6590ebc3b58ce.thumb.png.956aa9c4ef2a4874a70e58c17bd51e5b.png

forum_image_6590ebcd25eb9.thumb.png.7b48a48c0110e6087d21bdaf7b5b4769.png

Final Mirage is a Revell offering originally released in the 1970’s. I was really impressed by this kit at the time although I’m not sure if all those bombs were carried by operational aircraft.

forum_image_6590ebd8cff96.thumb.png.9aa8cd6dbdb20aaecde57a5d5e3d90ed.png

Thanks for the feedback on this. I think the Mirage is a fine looking aircraft and a good plastic model, as are most kits that look fast and are painted silver.

Regarding the Aeronauts, I gather that a dvd box set was produced, but sold out a long time ago. It seems to confirm that the series had quite a few fans.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve recently acquired an early 1970s Dogfight Double edition of the Airfix Mirage III and MiG-15 but the moulding quality’s a bit “off”. Fit of the wing components needs some adjusting and some of the undersurface detailing is a bit vague but, for me, the most curious aspect of this kit is that the ejection seat is so far forward that, had he to eject, he’d leave everything below his mid-thighs wrapped round the instrument panel, were there one. Irks and grumbles aside it’s a decent starting point for an early Mirage which is still one of the best looking jet fighters ever.

• 2 weeks later...