How do I get my train running?

I recently inherited a 70’s Transcontinental Streamliner set (Australian) but have had no success getting it running. It has a Thyristor controller and a part referred to as R.618 which I have tried to connect to the track but I might have done it incorrectly. I also have multiple cords and I don't know which ones to use.

I will attach some pictures and hope that someone will be able to assist me it getting the set working.

Thanks,

Frankforum_image_659611200105e.thumb.png.3dc5c5ead545ec9f64d2b6ce02b3ee63.pngforum_image_6596112d49ce1.thumb.png.c25eee763bb3c5e00bc0bef9678005fb.pngforum_image_6596113a0fd91.thumb.png.477efeb3c060e0ccf17aa42dcbc2c67c.pngforum_image_65961146941b7.thumb.png.987f12eee2baf00e5a4fb972da99439c.png

We're assuming all parts work together.

I noticed on the 'controlled output 12 volts', below it mentions an output of ??? Amps - this could be critical.

Older model railways used motors which drew considerably more current than modern ones do so recommend do not try using with new stock.

The black wires out of the 'Thyristor' have pins on the end - these go into the black connector in the track.

It is DC, so directional. If you find it's the wrong way, simply cross the wires over.

All items look to be at least 30-50 years old, so PAT testing would be advised.

Al.

The controlled output is regulated by the speed knob and reversing switch. The auxiliary outs are fixed DC and AC voltages used for driving accessories such as a turntable or signals or lights, etc (DC) or a CDU (AC) for solenoid point motors.

Input is 240 vAC so presumably suitable for your mains supply. A device that old may have age failed components and a metal case, so as suggested get a pro to check it out for your own safety.

check with a meter that each pin on the connector is connected to one rail each and not shorting.

It is difficult to be sure from the photograph but the power clip does not look to be connecting with the rails correctly. While the outer (short) connectors appear to be sitting between the plastic track web and the bottom of the rail, the longer (centre) connector seems to be too long and not touching the other rail. If I remember correctly, the end of the connector is cranked upwards so that the tip also slides between plastic web and rail but, as shown, it cannot do so. Investigation is needed there, I think. Does the train run if the leads from the controller are connected directly to the rails, by-passing the power clip?

In the bottom photograph, the item in the centre is an uncoupling ramp which is clipped between the rails on a straight length of track to uncouple rolling stock by lifting the hooks of the tension-lock couplings when the train is propelled (not pulled) over the uncoupler. The leads were probably used with an electrically-driven accessory such as a point motor.

R618 is an isolating track with a cut in both rails.

I would go further than previous replies and say that I wouldn't even consider using a 50-year old controller. Components, particularly electrolytic capacitors, deteriorate with age and even if it works now it may fail in the future.

I'm not sure what the item in your last photo is???

Hi TC, I think the OP just placed items her wasn't certain about.

It looks like the wires are simply additional wires found 'in the box', which could be for an AC power supply to lighting or simply extra wiring for the track I reckon.

The other item is an uncoupler - normally clicks in-between the sleepers and permits you to back tension-lock-coupled coaching stock over then pull away, uncoupled.

Al.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am not technically proficient to understand all of it but I guess I need to find a local expert to run their eye over it. I will try using the wire directly to the track as I did suspect that I had not connected the power clip correctly to the track as "Going Spare" pointed out. I am pretty sure that the centre point is not touching the track but I could not work out how to make this happen. I thought there must be a trick to it that I am not aware of.