Simple layout planning - ideas welcome

taunmarc88

Hi all,

I've been playing around with anyrail, trying to get a small and simple layout together. I keep trying to go over the top and stalling so I think for my own sanity and that of those around me at home I need to think smaller for now and prove that I can get on with a layout! I'm also thinking that as I do not have a desk, by starting small I can incorporate a desk into the room also to do modelling tasks.

The current idea is 5ft x 3ft2. As you will see there is a siding in the top left of the layout. Perhaps an expansion could go there in the future. The inner curve is radius 2 leading to the Goods Shed so can be used by all engines. I would appreciate any thoughts and I can then think of changes! The key items are goods area and station with village in the middle gap. I have four BR maroon coaches, three carmine and cream and four pacifics. (Blink Bonny, Mallard, WIlliam Whitelaw and Trigo). So I'm really looking at late steam era as I plan to run green diesels also. Era 3 engines will be run for fun and I will buy other stock from the future but only for my own enjoyment such as intercity with three coaches - I know this isn't going to fit my station as it is but I do not want to regret not getting it in a few years time.

Here it is so far:

forum_image_65bfeadf2b488.thumb.png.afb651393ac7d5e7dfd8c749681a79a6.png

Great to see you back on it and fully understand the idea behind the InterCity purchase. In the end you can run whatever you want whenever anyway!

For now, how about getting the plan you have down and enjoy the process of building and running some trains. You can always go back and make changes at a later date. A bigger space may be available. 😁

There is a danger of getting into a search for perfection which I'm guilty of.

Reminds me of a certain Technician (Second Class) A.J.Rimmer constantly colouring in his exam revision timetable until he had no time to actually revise. There's a point at which planning ought to stop as RM says (says me, who hasn't yet put track to plywood ...).

@Mocassin I think being compared to Mr A.J. Rimmer alone should be enough for me to get on with it!

I am definitely guilty of overthinking every detail to the detriment of actually getting anything done. Thank you to all so far for suggestions, I’m glad I asked - it’s so easy to miss small details. I will get back on anyrail and look at modifications.

Postman, how big is your table? The bridge sounds great, it always adds so much depth. You had a good area for shunting activities at the front, I think that’s a great idea. I like how it isn’t all square either, mine feels a bit constrained into the space.

Postman, how big is your table? The bridge sounds great, it always adds so much depth. You had a good area for shunting activities at the front, I think that’s a great idea. I like how it isn’t all square either, mine feels a bit constrained into the space.

It’s roughly 1.5m by 1.5m (4.9ft by 4.9ft). The oxbow bridge was a pre-requisite for being allowed to build a layout lol. So had to re work the size to accommodate it, got a few days of in March which is penned for building the flyover section.

We do have space on the right where I could add more play value once the main build is completed.

Was my wife’s idea to slant the loops and tbh it looks great.

Looks good, but I stretching nearly 5ft to do scenery would make life tricky, an access hatch may be a thing worth planning in ?
Unless it is to be in the centre of the room with access from all sides ?

I know what you mean will have to plan carefully, as its not fixed using saw horses so can rotate it if needs be but it’s a two person job