New Oxford Diecast TT:120 Items In Stock

Dodge1965

I must disagree with you @SMR248 I'm not a bus aficionado but they look near damned good enough to trigger my memories of the old Route Masters.Everyone I know will recognise it as a London double decker bus.

One of my friends (who actually owns a bus) will not doubt tell me that at some stage the bus should really a RT not RM for the era of the trains being run.

Are you being too fussy - perhaps.  However, we all have our level of acceptance and if the bus model is a big deal I happily support your view

Having just Googled images after reading your comments on the real thing v the model yes, the rake of the bonnet is higher on the model and the radiator is not quie right but it is only a 1:120th scale rendition, measuring 6.6 cm long.  The pole at the deck looks like a drain pipe too.

If high accuracy rendition is what is desired, then a larger scale would have nowhere to hide on the accuracy stakes.

If one takes the example of the Oxford diecast TT120 Dennis fire engine, the ladder assembly is just looks terrible and just a stick of brown plastic (not a wooden ladder at all).  I still like it.

They are all so much better that the TT scale 3D printed vehicles I have bought, which don't have any glazing either

Mod note - amended to scratch out naughty word.

Edited by 96RAF

I'll see what it looks like at TT120 scale when I get the one I ordered some time ago.  Oxford do seem to be a bit hit and miss.  The one certainty is it'll look better than the N scale version.  Having lived and worked in the London area the RM is probably etched into my mind and my first reaction was that it looked wrong (and comparison with photos on the internet confirmed this).  It's no big deal really but it would take no more effort to make it look right.

• Like 1

The bonnet slope is definitely wrong on the routemaster, but it’s really not that noticeable in the flesh. The pictures in this thread show the bus in a magnified format.

Perhaps Oxford will revise the model for future runs, but in the meantime I’m very pleased with how mine look on the layout.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John-L said:

The bonnet slope is definitely wrong on the routemaster, but it’s really not that noticeable in the flesh. The pictures in this thread show the bus in a magnified format.

Perhaps Oxford will revise the model for future runs, but in the meantime I’m very pleased with how mine look on the layout.

That's good to know.  Now it's been tooled, I don't think that they'll change it for another 10 years.

Perhaps we're due another announcement soon about what's next (a slightly more drab mini perhaps?).

The VW van is interesting, since, (ignoring the British number plates) it'd be quite at home in much of the rest of Western Europe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SMR248 said:

That's good to know.  Now it's been tooled, I don't think that they'll change it for another 10 years.

Perhaps we're due another announcement soon about what's next (a slightly more drab mini perhaps?).

The VW van is interesting, since, (ignoring the British number plates) it'd be quite at home in much of the rest of Western Europe.

Could possibly be a British Army on the Rhine (BAOR) era vehicle perhaps??

15 hours ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

I must disagree with you @SMR248 I'm not a bus aficionado but they look near damned good enough to trigger my memories of the old Route Masters.Everyone I know will recognise it as a London double decker bus.

One of my friends (who actually owns a bus) will not doubt tell me that at some stage the bus should really a RT not RM for the era of the trains being run.

Are you being too fussy - perhaps.  However, we all have our level of acceptance and if the bus model is a big deal I happily support your view

Having just Googled images after reading your comments on the real thing v the model yes, the rake of the bonnet is higher on the model and the radiator is not quie right but it is only a 1:120th scale rendition, measuring 6.6 cm long.  The pole at the deck looks like a drain pipe too.

If high accuracy rendition is what is desired, then a larger scale would have nowhere to hide on the accuracy stakes.

If one takes the example of the Oxford diecast TT120 Dennis fire engine, the ladder assembly is just looks terrible and just a stick of brown plastic (not a wooden ladder at all).  I still like it.

They are all so much better that the TT scale 3D printed vehicles I have bought, which don't have any glazing either

Mod note - amended to scratch out naughty word.

The biggest issue with this bus, is Oxfords picked RM8. This means the grille is totally wrong. RM8’s grille had a straight centre bar, not with the V at the top for the badge. It did however get a standard grille for a short spell towards the end of its service apparently, but not in the livery it is depicted. Oxfords should have picked a standard RM out of the hundreds that there were and the grille would be right

IMG_6862.thumb.jpeg.71f51a12bb5ac03d6aabcb194924fee8.jpeg

• Like 1