Hornby hm7000 decoder with sound 8 pin

Yes it will. Although I cannot recall whether the decoder goes into the loco or tender. Earlier DCC Ready Bulleid Pacifics had the decoder in the loco - later models the tender with room for a round speaker.

I have just checked Service Sheet 314 which is for Rebuilt Merchant Navy Class, but also covers M/N R2528 - which would have been available at a similar time to your loco, and the decoder fits in the loco. There may be room in the smoke box for the speaker - using the smallest speaker housing which comes with the decoder. If the loco is fitted with a speedometer, you will need to very carefully remove the centre nut on the rear driving wheel to enable the speedo. cable to be detached before removing the loco body. It is a fairly straightforward job - just do it carefully.

PS: I have assumed you are thinking of fitting a HM7000 sound decoder? If you were thinking of a TTS sound decoder - this will fit, but the round speaker would require being replaced with something smaller if you wanted to fit the speaker in the loco.

I know on all mine I moved the decoder to the tender, there isn't much room in the loco for anything plus I broke one set of valve gear trying to get it in the loco. The big issue is because they changed the tender fitting you cannot use a later tender base.

I fitted TTS to my MN using a sugar cube in the loco. I have since replaced that with a TXS using the same size speaker. From memory doing the TTS I had to remove the weight in the smokebox to accommodate the decoder and the speaker went on the chassis here.

forum_image_65c54ec2192ce.thumb.png.58463a883c61225400d52fdb633dc076.png