Model Rail Scotland

GMD

Hi. Missed Elocoloco and Mocassin! If you guys are still around how about we meet at the 12millbridge layout at 2pm?

im in a red top, glasses and small backpack

Edited by GMD

1 hour ago, Moccasin said:

Also mentioned that they were in discussions on possible exclusive TT120 models. 

I presume it would only be a livery change to an existing model, it would be expensive just to make a TT:120 club stand alone loco

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Taff TT said:

Excellent. Worth going then us entry fee?

£15 entry. Really don’t think you can complain at that at all. Will try and get a few photos up tonight. 

Some photos from today. Just TT stuff. Had to remove some photos - they upload as a pure black block of colour  

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_4395.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Edited by GMD
Some photos not loading properly.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave the Busker said:

I was told today that the exec HSTs have just arrived in England and should be going on to the website this week 

Great! didn’t get round to asking as Martyn needed to chat to other customers. Unless I win the lottery this weekend, it’ll be a while before I get one!

While I enjoyed today and it was good chatting to @GMD, Martyn Weaver & others, it reminded me of the problem with some exhibition layouts that I recall when I used to go to these events as a child. There were a lot of children there (of all ages!) and quite a few layouts just had very little going on. Sometimes there were 5 minutes or so between anything moving. It seems a shame when all that work had gone into the layout but many people barely stayed a few minutes because there was nothing going on.

Movement and anticipation keeps the interest. Some layouts seemed to take the length of anticipation to the extreme! 

The layouts themselves were fantastic, but some just seemed to misunderstand that many (most?) visitors were there to see trains move.

If I sound like a philistine, I’m sorry!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

While I enjoyed today and it was good chatting to @GMD, Martyn Weaver & others, it reminded me of the problem with some exhibition layouts that I recall when I used to go to these events as a child. There were a lot of children there (of all ages!) and quite a few layouts just had very little going on. Sometimes there were 5 minutes or so between anything moving. It seems a shame when all that work had gone into the layout but many people barely stayed a few minutes because there was nothing going on.

Movement and anticipation keeps the interest. Some layouts seemed to take the length of anticipation to the extreme! 

The layouts themselves were fantastic, but some just seemed to misunderstand that many (most?) visitors were there to see trains move.

If I sound like a philistine, I’m sorry!

That is a very big problem with many layouts, they tend to run trains far too slow for the general public. There is nothing wrong running trains slow in their clubrooms or at home but when the public have limited time with lots of layouts to look at it is just ridiculous. These days I walk away from them at shows as a fiddle yard could have 20 odd trains which would take over an hour to see them all and there is just not enough time. 

Layout operators should realise the paying public are the ones that allow them to show off the models and if we did not attend there would be no shows for them to exhibit.

As I said at home/club it is fine but for the public NO.

• Like 1

Just back after stopping off for curry on the way home.

Sorry I missed everyone. I was kicking around the Hornby stand around one but didn't see anyone I suspected from the forum. It was nice to actually see TT models - my first time in the plastic and mazak so to speak. I also noticed that Peco had the Hornby 08 pulling their wagons around a test/demo track and Gaugemaster also had both the Scotsman and a continental loco chugging around so plenty of TT exposure over a number of stands. The preproduction samples on display all looked good. 

@GMD I waited for the 'classic' bus from George St down to the SECC - along with a few other enthusiasts - but nothing turned up. We eventually all took the #100 sevice to the centre which turned out to be free. I got the low level back to Central on the way back.

All in all a pretty good day and I got away with only buying one wagon!

Sorry to miss you @ellocoloco

I indulged in some geekery by taking the subway round and walking across the river. Their new stock is very smart. I walked back to Queen St about 2.30. 

I think 1pm is when I went outside for some fresh air. It was very warm and crowded in there. Glad I had my advance ticket though, because when I arrived, the queue to buy tickets at the door was very long. 

Edited by Moccasin