HM7000 Chips, Loco has 21 pin socket not pins

1 hour ago, SteveM6 said:

PluX22 offers no additional usable functionality in a steamer, has Bachmann chosen it specifically to prevent the use of Hornby decoders?

That is rather UK centric. PluX22 is the new defacto standard here on the continent. Bachmann probably chose it, because everyone else (outside the UK) has started to use it. Hornby should just cave in an provide a PluX22 HM7000 decoder if they want to stay relevant.

15 minutes ago, HST Mainline said:

That is rather UK centric. PluX22 is the new defacto standard here on the continent. Bachmann probably chose it, because everyone else (outside the UK) has started to use it. Hornby should just cave in an provide a PluX22 HM7000 decoder if they want to stay relevant.

It took them long enough to the accept 21 pin offering, so adding another one would be really radical. Perhaps 22 pin makes production simpler.

56 minutes ago, ColinB said:

It took them long enough to the accept 21 pin offering, so adding another one would be really radical. Perhaps 22 pin makes production simpler.

You need a long calendar to plot Hornby change of tack.

Thank you all for your responses. This has been a steep learning curve for me and I now realise I was making some very silly assumptions in my original message when I thought the pin configuration in a PluX22 and a 21-pin MTC would be the same! I have now gone ahead and bought an ESU PluX12 to Next18 adapter lead and an R7345 Next18 decoder. I tried installing them in the loco today and everything seemed fine to start with. The decoder communicated with the HM7000 app on my iPad, I linked the device and even downloaded the 9F sound profile SD026 into it. I even got sound from the built-in speaker in the tender but as soon as I commanded the loco to move, the sound stopped and I noticed that the decoder was very hot! The decoder is now not communicating with the iPad and gets very hot every time I power it up.

If anyone has any ideas what could have happened, I would be grateful. I wondered if I may have got the orientation wrong with either of the connectors but if this was the case, why did it initially work ok? Could it perhaps be that the loco motor was pulling too much current? Do you think the decoder is redeemable or is it fried? The fact that it's getting hot and not communicating sounds like it's kaput, which is annoying as I only received it today!

Any views or advice would be welcome, thanks very much.

20240619_125908.jpg

I suspect that it has shorted out as you have put no insulation between the decoder and the PCB in the tender. In fact the decoder is resting on contacts on the PCB in the photo you have supplied.

When you next try, put some kapton tape over the PCB.

Did you look at the fixed ESU adapter boards? They will hold the decoder in place rather than a floppy ribbon cable, the stack height is about 3mm extra. I have a PluX16 to N18 in a TT:120 loco. 

Edited by Rallymatt

The two wires come with the ESU adapter, apparently for connecting to a speaker!

I wasn't aware of the PluX16 to Next18 adapter board from ESU, I'll look it up! Thanks very much.

Rallymatt, the board you're referring to appears to be ESU's ref 51996. I've done a quick search on Google and it doesn't appear to be available in the UK. All the prices are either in Dollars or Euros.

1 hour ago, Rob773 said:

The two wires come with the ESU adapter, apparently for connecting to a speaker!

I wasn't aware of the PluX16 to Next18 adapter board from ESU, I'll look it up! Thanks very much.

Then those 2 wires will be shorting the sound amp even if there is a built in speaker. Plus what others have pointed out about the decoder not being insulated.

I cut the bare ends off of the speaker wires before I powered the decoder up so they were not a problem. However, not insulating the board before powering up was a bad omission, I hold my hands up!