EE Lightning F2A 92 squadron

I'm just about to start building the Airfix 1/72 EE Lightning F2A (as soon as the Novo Gloster Whittle is totally 'done') and I've been browsing the instructions and paint guide to make sure I've got all the pigments I need. It's the Starter Set version , but the little pots of paint are somewhat past it! The Humbrol colour call-out is for 163 which used to be listed as 'Dark Green', but no longer appears (the only 'Dark Green' being the BS Dark Green). The box-art looks a more khaki drab green than the paint guide on the back of the box. Anyone got any suggestions? I'd like to use Vallejo Model Air (as is my usual practise) - but Vallejo list at least three pigments that are called 'Dark Green'. As I don't usually build post-war aircraft, I'm at a bit of a loss, so I'd appreciate any input! Thanks, chaps!

Posted (edited)

Now at the risk of being cheeky, I think you should be familiar with this problem. It’s essentially the same as the colour of British WWI aircraft  !
My suggestion- look at the many colour photographs on the Net and go with one you like. 
I had thought that Humbrol 163 was a relatively recent addition to the range. I saw it first with a call-out from one of the new Airfix Harriers. I had difficulty getting it but finally found it from Wonderland Models in Edinburgh. 
Hope this helps. 

I just thought I should add that while I have ‘163’, I still haven’t used it so don’t know how suitable it’s shade would be for options such as this. 

Edited by Dominic Thomas

the dark green was BS641 and in 1988 it was re numbered to BS241 and is slightly different in colour between the two,  vallejo BS 241 dark green is BS dark green 71.324

this is a decent sight for colours and there numbers its where i got BS641 from there is a section on just lightnings, the part of colour number change is under tactical aircraft 1965-1995, lots of reading if you like that sort of thing.

Aircraft Colors and Camouflage, Royal Air Force (Modern) - Resources - The World Wars.net

look on Vallejo site under downloads look for historical colour reference guide and download it  its where i got the Vallejo reference from

Thanks for the various responses - very useful. Not least, it's prompted me to get an up-to-date colour chart with the current colours on it! It appears that Vallejo Dark Green 71.324 is therefore correct, and so I'll go with that in the absence of anything else - although I will try to order/obtain a dropper-pot of Humbrol 163 to compare before I actually apply the pigment - I note that it is listed on the Humbrol/Airfix website.

Just had a look at the website for which Paul provided a link - excellent resource, so thank you for that. Interestingly, it lists Vallejo Dark Green 71.324 as being the correct colour for Lightnings, but suggests that the Humbrol equivalent is 116, which is listed on my chart as Matt US Dark Green.

• Thanks 1

116 is a good match for RAF Dark Green, so is 163. The only difference is that 116 is matt and 163 semi-gloss. I think 163 was originally issued to suit post war RAF aircraft. 116 was always a good option for Dark Green, much more so than the ubiquitous 30.

• Like 2