Gloster Whittle in 1/72

I've now finished my build of the Novo (ex-Frog?) Gloster Whittle in 1/72. I know it's not an Airfix kit (would that it were, it might have been more straightforward!) but I wanted to build one as a logical 'bridge' between WW2 piston aircraft and post-war jets. The hardest part of the build (apart from getting things to fit) was getting a good finish with yellow paint - in spite of a spray coat of Halfords white primer, it still needed 6 coats of brush-applied Humbrol yellow acrylic from a dropper-pot. The rest of the pigments used were Vallejo Model Air  (also brush-applied). The kit decals were well past their useful state, so I used Xtradecal products sourced from Hannants. The serial number (W4041) appeared on the first prototype which was painted dark earth/dark green when it first flew at RAF Cranwell. I also added a more realistically scaled test pilot, and scribed some panel lines, having sanded off the raised lines. Bit of a niche build, but it provides a useful historic link!

whittle01.jpg.df6b741fbf9ac752b5c88b4c58a4ff16.jpgwhittle02.jpg.b4dc54103df55c455cfc202303b91e01.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Null-Null.

Made this model way back when, and it wasn't that good even then, unlike most of the Frog kits. How did you find this kit? as it wasn't thay common even when it was released being a very slow seller. so today it must be rare indeed. Anyway, thanks for showing this kit, I must admit you've made a better go of iut than I ever did. Looking forward to seeing more. 

Remember we do this for fun                             John the Pom

According to Scalemates this kit is still being produced by what looks like a fairly obscure European company, good luck to them. It looks like the only injection molded offering in town. 

I found the Novo kit on the Kingkits website - always worth a visit (in case you didn't already know) if you're looking for something obscure, and I think the prices are reasonable and realistic (certainly compared to some of those that appear on the auction site beginning with 'E') and delivery is always excellent.