Look what stopped outside the Hotel where I work

When I was in the 6th form Fred Dibnah’s kids were at the same school and he used to bring his traction engine at any excuse….and smoke out the main building.

When my kids were young I took them to an ENVIRONMENTAL fair in Salford and while I was on the helter-skelter with them the steam engine working one of the other rides fumigated us for added enjoyment. Coming from a mining family I was used to the smell of coal, my kids weren’t. 

Thanks JJ.  That is a very old joke in the US.

On a different note, Keith Appleton over on YouTube does repairs on live steam models, live steam toys, those ride on live steam locomotives and indeed has a Showman's Engine.  Valve jobs.  Triple expansion engines.  Steam powered pumps, etc.  The man is a master of steam.

He is a bit of a curmudgeon, but very clearly knows his stuff.   If you want to see and learn about live steam, Keith Appleton is the one to watch.

https://youtube.com/@keithappleton?si=DhsYZccb40UexoS6

Bee

That is big stuff compared to our very own Ken Simms (Go_West) who not only builds ride-ons but also has many 00 live steam. Hopefully he will repost some of his many builds. He is currently building a 2-8-0 GWR loco.

• RB51 changed the title to Look what stopped outside the Hotel where I work
3 hours ago, Gordonvale said:

Steam Traction Engine ?????

Surely just a steam roller.

Steam roller as pictured. A steam traction engine had tyred wheels front and back and was normally used on site as a stationary engine to belt drive farm machinery.

On 11/05/2024 at 23:11, Bulleidboy said:

Built by Aveling and Porter and first registered in March 1925.

And taxed until 1 May next year.

1 hour ago, 96RAF said:

And taxed until 1 May next year.

Presumably tax and MOT exempt if classed as an historic vehicle.

Built about a mile from where I live. The Aveling and Porter factory passed through a few hands before the site became our local council offices. The site was cleared a few years ago and as it occupies a prime riverside location, is about to be redeveloped into high density, yet still expensive, housing for DFLs.🥲

I can remember attending a model exhibition at those offices a good few years ago, where a friend was also exhibiting his working large-scale trams with bodywork made mainly from cereal packets.  And just across the Medway, Short Brothers flying boats. such as the revolutionary Singapore I of similar vintage, were produced until just after the end of WWII.

26 minutes ago, Going Spare said:

I can remember attending a model exhibition at those offices a good few years ago, where a friend was also exhibiting his working large-scale trams with bodywork made mainly from cereal packets.  And just across the Medway, Short Brothers flying boats. such as the revolutionary Singapore I of similar vintage, were produced until just after the end of WWII.

The slipways are still there but the factory has long been replaced by flats. Although the naval dockyard is now a museum, the commercial docks are to be closed down by the council for more housing.

St Mary's Island , a Napoleonic mass graveyard, is now a housing estate where much of the approach road foundations are contaminated from the nuclear subs that were maintained here.