Electric Locomotives

Posted (edited)

I’d suggest that the 86 is a more versatile choice as they lasted from the steam era right into privatisation and served on the WCML as well as on the Anglian main line out of Liverpool Street. One even ran with Hull Trains for a short while on the ECML  

I’m not too au fait with the WCML in the late 60s but presume that the 86s co-existed with the Coronation class and (before electrification was completed) with Class 50s.

Plenty of livery choices available for them as they also worked freight services with the privatised UK freight companies.

As has already been said, they have of course also been used overseas in Bulgaria and Hungary.

PS Wikipedia tells me that one example was fitted with a streamlined nose to assist designs for the APT & HST

E3173

Edited by Moccasin
Fat fingers
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

I’d suggest that the 86 is a more versatile choice as they lasted from the steam era right into privatisation and served on the WCML as well as on the Anglian main line out of Liverpool Street. One even ran with Hull Trains for a short while on the ECML  

I’m not too au fait with the WCML in the late 60s but presume that the 86s co-existed with the Coronation class and (before electrification was completed) with Class 50s.

Plenty of livery choices available for them as they also worked freight services with the privatised UK freight companies.

As has already been said, they have of course also been used overseas in Bulgaria and Hungary.

PS Wikipedia tells me that one example was fitted with a streamlined nose to assist designs for the APT & HST

E3173

That would definitely be a good choice

• Like 1