24 radius curves

Posted (edited)

Hi Ryan

Welcome aboard!  I too am in the US. 

Most Hornby locomotives have a minimum curve specified by number.  R1, R2, R3, etc.  Alternatively stated as first radius, second radius, etc

These correspond to dimensions given in millimeters. R2, or second radius, is 438 mm   / 43.8 cm.  That's 17¼".

The smaller the number, the tighter the turn.  Thus, R1 is smaller than R2.

They are set up this way so that multiple parallel tracks can go around a turn, such that adequate clearance is provided for rolling stock.

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee
Hilarious wording corrected

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, What About The Bee said:

Hi Ryan

Welcome aboard!  I too am in the US. 

Most Hornby locomotives have a minimum curve specified by number.  R1, R2, R3, etc.  Alternatively stated as first radius, second radius, etc

These correspond to dimensions given in millimeters. R2, or second radius, is 438 mm   / 43.8 cm.  That's 17¼".

The smaller the number, the tighter the turn.  Thus, R1 is smaller than R2.

They are set up this way so that multiple parallel tracks can go around a turn, such that adequate clearance is provided for rolling stock.

Bee

i have a merhcant navy and k1 they are both 438mm  can they work on 24 radius cuvres?

Edited by Ryan-1211848

Ryan, when dealing with measurements, it is important to specify the UNIT.

There is a huge difference between 24 millimeters, 24 centimeters and 24 inches.

I suspect you mean 24 inches.   If that is the case, then yes, Hornby locomotives are typically specified to be minimum turn radius R2.  Which means 438 millimeters.  438 millimeters, converted to inches, is 17¼ inches.

Is 17¼ inches, the minimum turn radius, less than 24 inches?  Yes, it is.  

So no issues, your UK locomotives will most certainly handle 24 inches, because the minimum required is 17¼ inches.

Hopefully that clears this up.

Bee

8 minutes ago, What About The Bee said:

Ryan, when dealing with measurements, it is important to specify the UNIT.

There is a huge difference between 24 millimeters, 24 centimeters and 24 inches.

I suspect you mean 24 inches.   If that is the case, then yes, Hornby locomotives are typically specified to be minimum turn radius R2.  Which means 438 millimeters.  438 millimeters, converted to inches, is 17¼ inches.

Is 17¼ inches, the minimum turn radius, less than 24 inches?  Yes, it is.  

So no issues, your UK locomotives will most certainly handle 24 inches, because the minimum required is 17¼ inches.

Hopefully that clears this up.

Bee

ok thank you for helping me i’m be getting some more 24 radius turns. but thank you a lot 

• Like 1

It's always best practice to use as large a radius as possible, to minimise chassis wear.

The tighter the radius, the greater the risk the rails will pinch the flanges of driving wheels against their 'natural operating position', potentially ovalling the mounting / bushes (if present).

Al.

I know that. the sharpest curves on my layout are Radius 2. There may be an exception, but I am unsure it is, I think it is a radius 2 curve made out of flexitrack because the part was not availible from my track box, so to fill it in, I simply put a bit of flexitrack in instead. It would have been replaceable with a point, but the positioning didn't allow a loco to get beyond the pinch point, so it was useless, and I abandoned the idea, so I think that section is Radius 2. XYZ