1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Ia - first "proper" attempt at model making.

PforPopsy

Hello all,

I've now finished my first "proper" attempt at modelmaking with this Airfix 1:72 Spitfire Mk.Ia which I picked up at Christmas from the fabled "middle of Lidl", at half price to boot - just £3.50!

I learnt a LOT from this kit, and there are a few things I'm not happy with (the paint is too thick in some places so it's filled in panel lines and stopped them from taking the wash later on, had some trouble with varnish coats pooling, might have overdone the weathering) but overall I'm pleased that I actually completed a kit even when at times I felt like it wasn't going to turn out any good. This is compounded by the fact that I am diagnosed OCD so it's quite difficult for me to be realistic about what I can achieve and to know when to put it down and walk away for a couple days. My ethos going forward is very much "done not perfect/don't let perfect be the enemy of good". And compared to my very first attempt at modelmaking (an Airfix Hurri starter set I built during the first lockdown) I'm satisfied with my progress.

All painting was done using Humbrol Gen 2 acrylic dropper bottles and brushes, with Humbrol spray primer. Having used Vallejo and Citadel paints a lot in my miniature painting side-hobby I found them to be lacking for modelmaking (in particular, the Vallejo just peeled and flaked if you blinked at it, even with spraycan primer underneath) so thought I'd give the new Humbrol paints a try as I had seen a few good reviews on Youtube and they're a decent price. Some colours went on better than others but overall they were perfectly good paints. I think next time though I'll add in some Acrylic Thinner and build up the layers in many multiple thin coats. I let my impatience get the better of me a few times with this build and slapped it on in a few places.

I used Eduard masks for the canopy and the camouflage - the canopy was fine but I found that the camouflage ones, when painted over with a brush, leave a little "lip" along the edge of the tape that can be quite difficult to get rid of. I tried gently scraping it away with a fresh craft knife blade, and sanding it gently with a 3000 grit sanding stick, but the result wasn't great and in a few areas it just messed the paint up and caused me to apply another too-thick layer of paint. For future builds I might give white-tack a try or just freehand it as best I can.

I applied Ammo by Mig Ultra Matt "Lucky" varnish which is what I usually use for historical miniatures but I can't help but wonder if its maybe a bit TOO matt - are Spitfires more of a satin finish in real life? Let me know!

Weathering was achieved with Flory clay washes - Grime for the interior and Dark Dirt for the exterior. I used Humbrol weathering powders for the exhaust and gun smoke, although I found that you have to be careful with these as they like to get everywhere and stain bits of the model you don't want weathered. 

Anyway, thanks for looking and any thoughts/feedback are very much welcome!

- Joe

Rear view from port side.

Z6AyJ9n.jpeg

Front view from starboard side.

QDrpPbT.jpeg

The underside, I used Humbrol weathering powder to add the smoke/grime to the gun ports and ejector ports, and around the radiator (although I probably should have used the Humbrol oil wash here now that I think about it. I'll have to pick some up).

zdoDPus.jpeg

Comparison with the 1:72 Hurri I built in the first lockdown, my very first attempt at a kit. 

2MnonJM.jpeg

Added the radio wire shortly after taking the above photos, using Prym Gold Zack knitting in elastic, which I saw recommended on here. It was a little fiddly, especially adding in the second smaller piece of wire that goes down from the aerial to the fuselage, but very satisfying and I think it really puts the cherry on top so to speak. I also touched up a few little areas where paint had chipped off, coloured the U/C indicators, and applied a final coat of matt varnish over the smoke/exhaust stains. 

yqdkYU2.jpeg

• Like 5

looks good but we all think our own models arnt good enough, i usually free hand the pattern unless i need a straight line like on Luftwaffe aircraft then i use tape and that gives me a slight lip on it but i just live with that. for me i will give most metal skinned aircraft a gloss finish but try to not get it too shiny, I've read accounts of both british and german ground crews taking pride in keeping there aircraft clean and pilots having there aircraft polished to give them an edge in combat so go with what makes you happy in the end.