Re-numbering locomotives

3 minutes ago, Johnathan-346380 said:

I want to re-number and rename the Class 50 using Railtec transfers. Has anyone done this already to any of their locomotives? How easy is it to remove the existing locomotive numbers any tips or suggestions?

I only paint over the original number but Rallymatt has a video of removing the printed ones.

You have to be very careful when renumbering, to ensure you only see the replacement numbering, not the 'mess you left behind'.

It appears they send the complete number, for example if the TOPS number on the locomotive is 50 012 and you want to change to 50 022, you'll get the complete '50 022'.  This would assume same font and spacing, but overlapping numbers would be visible.

I generally remove the individual number(s) required and replace them - combination of solvent rubbing, scraping and a little careful scratching.  The 'art' is in trying to keep the removal only to the number - toothpick, very fine pointed implement, etc.  Also, you must ensure you do not remove any of the base paint from underneath the tampo printed TOPS number you're removing.

After all of this, once you've replaced the number and it's dried, most sites recommend to 'lightly dust' with lacquer / varnish to seal it - they can flake off again if not done.  Probably better to practice this separately on an old body if you have one.

Main thing is preparation is the most important thing.  If you do finish with lacquer / varnish I strongly recommend you practice this on something you no longer need - it will run if you use one drop too much.

As stated, there are plenty of 'How To' videos - I would suggest watching several different ones, as many skilled modellers have different ways of doing the same thing - some ideas may be better than others.

Al.

• Like 1

I renumbered all my TTA tankers. 

Using toothpaste and Sodium Bicarbonate as a paste. It’s not damaging to paint or plastics, most people have it in the house too. 
NOTE  it is an abrasive; so although it’s easy to control, ie you won’t burn through the paint below, it can leave a trace of ‘polishing’. That could be removed with a touch up of clear matt  varnish or many modellers recommend using gloss vanish on the base, apply the transfer and then matt varnish over. 
Chemical methods of removing numbers etc can have all sorts of effects on paint and plastics. The yellow of the wasp stripes on the 08 reacted very badly to a tiny amount of thinners, it looked more like I had use Nitromors! 
I would strongly recommend testing first before going all in. 

• Like 4