A4 Golden Fleece R3994 Issues

Posted (edited)

Just received said locomotive after buying in the recent double rewards bank holiday weekend promotion.

Dead on arrival bar the fire box led. This is the second locomotive I've received with the "new" tender to loco connector that is having to go back to it's maker (LMS Black 5 went back and returned after tree weeks with Hornby). I'm now considering to push for full refund as I'm  beginning to question the reliability of this connector although, granted, it could be something unrelated like a duff motor etc.

There are other issues that I'd like opinions on. One locomotive upper connector track is damaged. This could be the issue but, if it is, the connector design is poor to say the least. The other thing is the tender corridor window looks like it has been fixed the wrong way round I.e it should have been fitted from inside. Anyway it looks sloppy to me.

First time posting images for me so not sure I've done the correct in using "add files" for you to see them.

IMG_20240530_195855.jpg

IMG_20240530_195738.jpg

Edited by NumberSix
Removed white space.

Posted (edited)

Pictures have came through nice and clear. I would agree that corridor window looks wrong, but I am not expert, someone more experience may come along and shed some light on that matter. Problems with Loco to tender connector put me off buying Black 5 especially with my saved points I may have bought that for just around £130 mark.

Edited by Deem

Posted (edited)

Perhaps it's me, but it looks as it it's fitted from the outside, whereas perhaps in the past it was glued from the inside?

Obviously, it's easier to attach from the outside.

Regarding the connector, there's a fellow enthusiast of British steam from the Far East who's 'played with' his Black 5, as it had failed like many seem to be doing.  He added slithers of solder to each of the connector contacts to make them thicker, and further cushioned the connector as he needed to raise it slightly to permit the front lighting!

All was working after this fathing around.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

Posted (edited)

It looks very similar to my HD Sir Nigel Gresley, so I suspect it is right. As to the connector the edge connector in the tender probably needs its fingers squashing down but don't even try to, they might break. Get Hornby to do it. 

rear of A4 tender.jpg

Edited by ColinB

Thanks for the replies.

I have sent the locomotive back to Hornby for refund. The deciding factor for me with refund vs repair was the tender window. Looks like the orientation of the glass is correct but the quality of finish leaves a lot to be desired. I had the fortune to see another example of the locomotive in one of the local model shops in York this weekend and the tender window was finished quite nicely. I also asked to see it running which the shop obliged.

Guy in the shop said you have to be very carefull when reconnecting the tender as the contacts are easily bent, and, then can easily break. Open to debate as to whether this is acceptable but worth noting for future reference.

Again thanks for responding.

1 hour ago, NumberSix said:

Thanks for the replies.

I have sent the locomotive back to Hornby for refund. The deciding factor for me with refund vs repair was the tender window. Looks like the orientation of the glass is correct but the quality of finish leaves a lot to be desired. I had the fortune to see another example of the locomotive in one of the local model shops in York this weekend and the tender window was finished quite nicely. I also asked to see it running which the shop obliged.

Guy in the shop said you have to be very carefull when reconnecting the tender as the contacts are easily bent, and, then can easily break. Open to debate as to whether this is acceptable but worth noting for future reference.

Again thanks for responding.

Jenny Kirk mentioned that when that connector was first used.

I don't know if this is just coincidence or I am just lucky. All the items I have bought from Hornby so far I never had any issue with them. But main thing is, as and when I become aware of something I like, I am always few months late, some time even after a year or so after the model have been released. So maybe Hornby have sorted out all the issue or kink in production by that time. Like this one, I just bought from Hornby R3893, using my points, got the loco for £125.00 included delivery, what a quality Locomotive and wow what a smooth slow runner. Now I am looking for R30126 and hopefully as and when I can find one in my budget I will share my experience. Hopefully I won't have any issue, touch wood.

• Like 1

Sometimes 'the enthusiast' in people can't resist being one of the first to own that new, special creation of a model company, but just like full-sized cars, it's often a good idea to wait 6-12 months, see if you still want it, and perhaps by that time some wrinkles may have been ironed out, as you say.

Glad it's working out.

Al.

To be honest I wasn't really after any specific thing from Hornby when the double reward points BH weekend arrived (fell for it?). I already had £53 in points so decided to treat myself to a new locomotive if anything could tempt me. The A4 was not my first choice, but it was in the running. It was my 13 year old grandson who judged that out of all my contenders the A4 was the most appealing. Yeah, good choice I thought.

From what I've seen of another example, been told and now know, I think I was just unlucky with the one I received. I will probably purchase another one in the not too distant future.