Lilliput loco made by Hornby?

2 hours ago, What About The Bee said:

Can you not get a spanner on the nut like so?

large.Spanneronnut.png.ae9070e19f73d0817adf0ae13f270223.png

4mm, per your data.  It will not be flat to the nut, but you should get angled purchase on the nut.  

Bee

I will look into the spanner later, first I want to find out how you added the spanner to my picture?

1 hour ago, ntpntpntp said:

Should be able to get enough purchase with a spanner or a nut spinner.  If it really won't budge then I'd be attacking it with a cutting disc in a minidrill, and replacing with a new nut and bolt.

I did think about that but I wanted to try all the avenue first and I don't want a nut to beat me as yet.

Hi Deem

There are lots of photoediting tools.  I use "Photolayers" for Android.  Like any tool, takes a bit getting used to.  I superimposed a 4 mm spanner onto your image, cutting away the background of that layer, such that your image shows all around it.  Magical!

A note about screwdrivers and how they are designed.  Yes, there is a design.

The width of the screwdriver should go fully across the slot in the screw.  The tapered sides of the screwdriver should engage the top of the slot.  The tip of the screwdriver should NOT touch the bottom of the slot.

Why?

Maximum torque, as the maximum radius from the center of screw rotation is obtained (full width).  No deformation of the screw (tapered sides contact top of slot).  

If the screwdriver is too small, the corners of the blade will dig into the slot, destroying it.  

Watchmakers grind their screwdrivers to match the screw, using the above design criteria.  You should endeavor to match their practices, as we also have tiny parts.

USE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB.  Put your loco aside until you get a spanner.

Bee

I have measure the nut size using vernier calliper and it is 4mm, I went to local shops to buy just one spanner, as I have spanner set from 6mm onwards for my motorbike and car repairs. None of the local shop had single 4mm spanner, so I have order online which should arrive in couple of days and I will have a another go.

'what about the Bee' As for your comment using the correct screwdriver, being a mechanics with experience of over 44 years (mostly motorcycles and occasionally cars as well) I know how important it is, to use correct screwdriver or tools to avoid any damage or make your life difficult in the long run.

• Like 1