Whistle/Horn changes not sticking

Posted (edited)

This is not a deal breaker by any means but it’s a bit of an odd quirk. 
I have edited the whistle and horn sound options on all my HM DCC fitted locos. Refreshed CVs and power cycle etc etc.

However every time a loco is powered up for the first time in a session it insists on playing the original horn/whistle sound (F2&F3) even though it’s been deactivated in the CV values. It only does it once. 
IE, turn layout on, press F2 whistle sounds a deactivated option, subsequent F2 presses it only selects from the edited options until there is a power cycle and it does it all over again. 
It makes no difference between App control or traditional DCC. Steam or Diesel profiles same thing. 

Edited by Rallymatt

It’s odder than that Bee, because it only does it first time either F2 or F3 is used, then it selects from the ones I have enabled. With the binary system it shouldn’t allow any deviation from the CV value. 
If I had calculated the CV values incorrectly then it would always play the unwanted file. And just when I thought I was starting to understand…… 🤣

Posted (edited)

This type of issue so often happens in software.  They are termed Initialization Problems. 

Without access to the decoders code, I would suggest the developers intended to use the underlying function (to your button press) as part of their startup sequence.  So they used a one time flag to state "use the start up sound, or play the user specified sound" as a function of the flag (or similar).  This is an initialization sequence.

Possible faults are: didn't use the underlying function, re-initialized the flag after the function was used, out of scope variable, etc.  There is a simple list to examine.  

This does sound like bug behavior. If I was to debug this, I'd probably check reseting the flag in the wrong order.  Very, very common issue.

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee
Eliminate poor capitalization