Converting 3 rail to 2 rail

Does anyone have knowledge they could share on the feasibility or otherwise of converting old Hornby 3 rail locos to 2 rail operation. I have picked up over the years a selection of knocked about 3 rail locos and considered converting them but what I envision to be a lot of work seems a bit daunting. I would not dream of converting some immaculate  3 rail that I inherited, but the cheapo train fair purchases are fair game in my eyes. If there is a relatively simple way to convert I would love to hear about it because I do have e soft spot for the old Hornby locos - model engineering at its finest.

The obvious consideration is whether or not the wheels are on insulated axles?  If they are solid metal they can't be used on 2-rail and will need replacing. Test with a multimeter on continuity setting. All of them, not just the driving wheels 🙂 
3-rail locos won't have wiper contacts to the insulated wheels so those will need making up and fitting. 
I expect that back in the 60s there may have been conversion kits with new wheels and other bits and pieces? 

Edited by ntpntpntp

I had a 2-6-4 std 4 tank converted by Eames of Reading many, many years ago when no doubt the 2-rail components were readily available.  Looking at the Service Sheet on Lendons website, I can see how it was done and the parts required although it does not show whether the chassis block had all three tappings for the 3-rail single-fixing pick-up assembly and the dual-fixing 2-rail replacement.  Insulated driving wheels were substituted on one side only and this permitted the same cylinder block/valvegear assembly to be retained.  Plastic pony truck & bogie wheels and couplings were also substituted (if not already fitted).  There are a number of online Hornby-Dublo parts suppliers so sourcing the parts may still be possible.  

You used to be able to get special Romford wheel conversion kits for the Dublo chassis and I think Dublo used 1/8” axles so easy to do. The adverts also said this would convert 3 rail to 2 rail. Romford wheels are still available under another brand name and are easy to quarter as the axles have square ends. 

As the skid pick up is isolated it should be easy to adapt the wiring etc. to take a pick up on the insulated side for 2 rail. I use a plain B or G guitar string from a set of 10s (the gauge relates to the highest (thinnest) string in the set for making pick-ups as I have a lot left from when I used to be in a band. They solder well even after being soaked in sweat/skin oil/beer/blood etc. even if they are a bit stinky. 

Wound G strings from heavier sets of strings or acoustic sets make good vac-pipes. 

Thank you all for your helpful posts. If I can find the time I might well have a go on the worst of the locos. I shall try drilling out the wheel centres to accept home made bushes to see if I can successfully insulate the original Hornby wheels. I've got some violin strings for contacts per Rana T's suggestion and bits of paxolin and copperclad to make collector plates . Should be fun.

I did this to my Duchess of Montrose, I did it many years ago when Wrenn were still going. I think you can still get Wrenn spares so just use Wrenn wheels and Wrenn pickups that is how I did it. I do remember having to drill a couple of holes in the bottom to take the new screw location for the pickup plate. The bigger issue is the tender as in my case it was a Duchess of Montrose and every time the tender went round a bend the insulated wheels hit the metal body causing a short but in the end I found a way to insulate it.

Edited by ColinB

Firstly thanks to Bee for the link as I've been after the above axles for a while now. But the ones illustrated above will NOT fit old Hornby dublo locos as these are meant for Triang locos and those made after the Triang takeover of Hornby.

However, if you follow the link and go to the top of the page you will find some 1/8 diameter axles which are the ones you need (see below)

• Capture99.JPG.b5f1343ca364d2c1f91786677bb06506.JPG

Another thing to be wary of if using Wrenn parts is that not all the chassis are the same as 3 rail dublo, or at least the N2 isn't. Hope this helps

Edited by 81F

As an aside, Many years ago I used the axles Bee illustrated to upgrade the wheels on an old Hornby GWR 101 and I'd like to do the same for a few more pocket rockets I have.

No worries @81FI had no idea which parts would go to a 3 rail, so I just took a guess.  Thank you very much for correcting the record. 

I've quite a few of these Romford parts on hand in various configurations and have spent the last 10 days or so reverse engineering the selected elements into CAD.   I am trying to get the CAD to match the parts as closely as possible, as these will form the underlying basis of a new design effort.  I've done enough to know that the concept is achievable.  I need to work through the details, such that I get it as close to right, the first time.   More on this later.

Bee

Glad to be of service. Your link has now resurrected the possibility of me creating an LNWR 19" Goods using my virtual Prince of Wales loco body as I should now be able to re-wheel either a Triang Ivatt or B12 chassis I have spare with some scale 5' wheels.