Sea Gladiator 1/72

My first attempt at a Work in Progress post. 
This is the Pavla Gladiator and will become a machine of 813 Squadron FAA in 1940, flying from HMS Eagle in the Mediterranean. 
Even though I have several Airfix Gladiators to build, I wanted to build this kit for several reasons, a) to remove it from the stash, b) to see what the Temperate Sea Scheme Shadow Shading looked like, c) to try a slightly different approach to rigging the cabane fuselage struts, and d) build a Sea Gladiator out of the box. 
I had been inspired by Ratch’s build of the 1/48 Walrus and the subsequent discussion of the colour scheme. I downloaded the instructions and checked I had all the Humbrol paints for the Shadow Scheme. I reasoned that the Airfix recommendations shouldn’t be too far from reality. 
So to the first couple of pictures 

IMG_5677.thumb.jpeg.2225d648ad41e941c30503eb55debac4.jpeg

The above pic shows the lighter versions of the TSS on the lower wings compared to the standard, darker, colours on the top wing, upper fuselage, and tail plane. The representations seemed ok to me.

IMG_5679.thumb.jpeg.c80f492cbf2c68c30d6c667f365a1fae.jpeg

This next pic shows why I chose the Pavla kit in this instance. Up until now, when adding rigging between the cabane struts, I had started by securing the elastic thread to the fuselage at the base of the struts. I then drilled holes right through the upper wing so I could feed the thread through when the wing was fixed in position, The thread would then be pulled taught, super glued, then cut flush with the wing surface. Each hole on top of the wing would then be filled, smoothed, and painted. 
The new plan was to drill right through the fuselage at the base of the struts. By feeding longer lengths of thread through and just drilling ‘half’ holes in the top wing, the thread could be fixed to the top wing and then pulled taught through the large gap where the engine will subsequently be installed. The picture shows that I have fished the thread from inside the fuselage and then temporarily fixed it with blue tack, waiting for the installation of struts and top wing.

Im not sure how long it will take to get the next set of pictures so please be patient if this post is of interest  

• Like 4

Progress with the top wing added. I was not looking forward to this as I had no jig(s) to help stabilise the struts. It did not go swimmingly but the wing is in place now. A day or so to let the glue fully harden before adding the cabane struts. 
I’ve tried to show the shadow scheme difference between upper and lower wings in the first photo. I used Humbrol acrylics throughout applied by brush. 
IMG_5700.thumb.jpeg.c2386e4290b6160451831db43fae3ad0.jpeg

This next pic shows the blue tack holding the thread in preparation for the rigging on the fuselage once the struts are in place. 
IMG_5701.thumb.jpeg.6f607f77f7d903dc4d4cf393808f1180.jpeg

It’s been very difficult to stop myself adding the engine so far. I would normally have added it well before this point. 

• Like 5

All struts in place. Not the easiest job as there were no location holes, just fine outlines of the respective positions. I cleared these of paint to give the bond the best chance of success. 
IMG_5726.thumb.jpeg.0b2b7661e79a692a9b5c3e2002e30e9c.jpeg

Next step, rigging. 

• Like 2

Just to prove this a ‘warts & all’ post, I noticed that one of the long main rigging lines had sprung. Because of the way I attached the rigging lines, once each line is super glued in place, I cut away any excess under tension. If it then breaks the bond, it’s not long enough to reattach easily. Having determined that I needed three hands to effect the repair, I decided to fetch the brand new, unused jig from the garage. 
IMG_5748.thumb.jpeg.d96204006bd6bf2f76c7fc42aa048760.jpeg

You can see the tension rising here as I also broke one of the main wheels. 
Anyway, I managed to repair the line. 
The next post should show the rigging finished. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Perhaps I exaggerated with ‘shortly’. 
Anyway, the rigging around the wings has been finished whereas I still have to add it to the tail plane. 
IMG_5761.thumb.jpeg.1d4667e802c7665fb30d5f13ff725406.jpeg

IMG_5758.thumb.jpeg.d8f662fac84e580c5dadcf9cadd941e9.jpeg

A few minor details (guns and exhausts) still need to be added. And then tidying up the paintwork before finishing the addition of markings. 

Edited by Dominic Thomas
  • Like 1

I see you have reattached your weel, and the rigging appears to have gone very well yor post before this sounded like it didn't go well but it has turned out very well. Better than I could do as I have never done a biplane before.

Guys, thank you for your positive comments. Much appreciated. 

I have to say that with an Airfix Gladiator waiting in the wings (!), I wish they would make the Sea Gladiator the next version to be released. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dominic Thomas said:

Guys, thank you for your positive comments. Much appreciated. 

I have to say that with an Airfix Gladiator waiting in the wings (!), I wish they would make the Sea Gladiator the next version to be released. 

I’ll second that !! I like the Airfix Gladiator.

Randall

Painful progress. Painfully slow, that is. 
In trying to fix another sprung rigging wire, I knocked the other wheel off. Financial tip : think about shares in superglue because at the rate I’m getting through it ……

Anyway, the main plane rigging is done. Here are a couple of photos to show the steps to make the rigging wire holes (through the wings) invisible, or as near as I can manage. 

This shows the application of Perfect Plastic Putty on the lower wing holes at the bottom of the photo. At the top of the photo, the wires are held taut in place with blutack while superglue applied to the top surface sets.

IMG_5765.thumb.jpeg.a03ef5442d506543ce50a1505c9a8165.jpeg

In the next photo, I have smoothed the putty and repainted the underside colour (Humbrol 28).

IMG_5776.thumb.jpeg.56792a98787a791786cb67be42d1fbab.jpeg

The couple of filled holes at the top of  the photo are still to be painted, as is one at the bottom of the photo. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, paul71 said:

do

Sorry for the delayed reply. I have to admit to being confused by these quoted comments. Makes me think I should have seen it before, but I don’t remember this one. 
Anyway, the method I use once the superglue has hardened around the thread on the upper side of the wing is to pull the thread as taut as possible on the underside. Then I cut the thread as close to the hole as possible with a pair of sharp pointed scissors. Most of the time, the remaining thread recoils back into the hole and I can fill the hole with putty to give a smooth finish to the wing again. 
If it does stand proud of the hole, I cut it with a sharp scalpel. 

• Like 2

no Dominic its my laptop it was updating and throw a wobbler as i was writing it, as i changed my wording it put the rest of it in a quote box for some reason and i didn't notice it, you worked out the question perfect any way that was what i wanted to know how you cut the end of the thread thanks Dominic 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At long last, 90+% finished. Just the arrester hook, cockpit step, and underwing roundels to add. But this has been going on for long enough so here are the pix. 
IMG_5869.thumb.jpeg.ed835fea9338b3475505a64b37ee7206.jpeg

IMG_5870.thumb.jpeg.f67d4161c87e4c356203e0fbef2f04df.jpeg

IMG_5871.thumb.jpeg.551942e6fdcc3193ca34cf910146149a.jpeg

IMG_5873.thumb.jpeg.661c276db21335c79b5c6d5ab78b5e56.jpeg

Colours were Humbrol acrylics as referenced in the painting guide for the Airfix 1/48 Walrus. I am happy with the tone variations between upper and lower wings, and will be using the paint references in future. 

• Like 5