Has any one had a go with the Osborn's Models exclusive kits?

TBH, although I have ordered from them a few times in the past, my last experience with them wasn't conducive to good customer relations, so I refuse to use them now.

I ordered something showing as 70+ in stock, had no coms from them for a week, chased them up via email, no reply for 3 days, phoned them to be told awaiting supply from manufacturer (whos website was showing no stock). Promised a call back that never happened and had to resort to paypal to get refunded.

But onto the kits, I believe they are all laser cut ply, even the chassis, but for clarification ring them up and ask, if interested, check they have actual stock while you are there 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would suggest searching on Google to read the reviews, many people have been disappointed and lost money with similar experiences to Too Tall, but, a small majority have praised them.  

It was too risky for me to even consider them, life is too short to be chasing up for months.

Edited by Silver Fox 17
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Got a couple. Yes, they are laser cut ply and generally build quite nicely. The surface detail is well done but they are basic from the point of view of chassis, handles for doors etc. They have wheels and hornby couplings included but no bearings and I found the first one I made a bit of a dull runner with thenaxle ends just located in a hole in the wood. Next one has N gauge top hat bearing cups pressed into the frame to see if that improves things. Paint was a bit hit and miss to get an even coverage on the dry wood. I also struggled getting a neat roof profile on the more complex curve. Simple arcs should be ok though. Generally enjoyed building but need to work at it to make the best of it and get a free runner.

20240703_064314.jpg

20240703_064300.jpg

20240703_064231.jpg

Edited by Rustyjt

Posted (edited)

I should’ve come here first!

I’ve just ordered 5-6 kits… will see how it goes. I have interacted with them over on RMWeb which is why I felt confident in ordering and so far it’s gone as expected - I’ve had order confirmation but not a dispatch email yet. Ordered on Sunday evening.

I also ordered a kit from Three Peaks at the same time which has been despatched but then it was a smaller order.

Theres a thread here for the Arch Laser Kits with lots of pictures and write up: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/178351-osborn’s-models-exclusives-tt-1120-“arch-laser”/

Although hasn’t been active for many months…

Edited by moawkwrd

From experience with laser cut ply, fret preparation of outer surfaces will greatly help the final appearance. This would mostly involve grain filling and sanding from which a finish approaching sheet styrene is fairly quickly and easily achieved. Then there is the quality of the laser cut itself which is largely a combination of production experience and machine maintenance. The first picture above shows less than ideal edge cuts (evident pulsing) which might make for awkward parts separation and the need for dressing during assembly.

1 hour ago, Postman On The Rails said:

As others over a year and still waiting for my order they don’t answer the phone or emails, the do if you say you want to cancel the order but then nothing 

Is that an order for their own kits or other items? 

I have had 2 kits and a resin mobile crane (finished) all came within a few days. The crane is a nice moulding and painted up I like it, but it absolutely isn’t 1:120 scale. It’s more like 1:100

I bought 2 arch laser kits, a platform crane and a Conflat wagon. The instructions are/were appalling, a newbie would have little chance of completing the build from them. The crane was a bunch of chaotic parts so I started with the conflat. Again instructions were not helpful. The chassis went together well and lack of bearing cups wasn’t an issue, it ran very smoothly, better than some RTR items! Finish was reasonable for basic detail. The container was not that well designed and with a bit of re-engineering it was done. The issue is the couplings, they are too rigid to work reliably and so derail the wagon. 
I sent both kits back for a refund agreed with the shop but, they were lost in the post… Royal Mail paid out rather than the shop, I was down a few £s but that’s life. 
I wouldn’t bother again, unless someone persuaded me they had made major changes. 

Posted (edited)

Was a bit skeptical after reading this thread but my order from last Sunday just arrived - packaging could be a bit better as I couldn’t work out where to cut the tape to get the box open.

IMG_1065.jpeg.0f1af9a96b69f5f9f940f28daf848181.jpeg

Will have a look at the kits this weekend. Will be finishing them as early/late BR just to add some variety to my layout hopefully.

Wheels and couplings are for my Three Peaks kit, which came a couple of days ago.IMG_1066.jpeg.c21f4f0a4b396db450958c870ec731ab.jpeg

Edited by moawkwrd

Quick picture of the contents of the 5 plank kit - IMG_1067.jpeg.5a8a9f10cbd5775c76ee127b5bbeb1b2.jpeg

Is this the same as other people’s experience? The instructions seem quite straight forward. Won’t be using the GWR stencils.

Hopefully the instructions have been improved, I did point it out to Osbornes so they could have passed that back. Pre-fit and check all parts fit nicely, paint as you go and you should be fine. I would be interested to see if they have improved the couplings so there is some movement in them. I must say on the wagon I built up, the actual running was very good 👍 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Okay, I know it’s shocking but I actually did some modelling today instead of just planning and theorising…

First up and most disappointingly… the Three Peaks wagon kit.

I thought this was going to be a doddle but it was not to be. I managed to break off one buffer, one brake handle and I can’t get the couplings the right height.

IMG_1076.jpeg.ee6f89d84ef3dcde714f9d3096e40eb4.jpegIMG_1077.jpeg.36889b501fc4e8bdc1c6064add4f3220.jpeg

I’m going to contact them about the couplings as I can’t see how they can be the correct ones as there is no way of fitting them otherwise. One or both of the parts were also not level which is how I managed to damage so much of it during the gluing process of holding them tightly enough to prevent gaps. My take? Unless it’s a solid single piece model that you just add the wheels and couplings to, I don’t think 3D printed kits are a practical option for most modellers; it’s too delicate.

Next, and the one I had low expectations for, the Osborns 5 plank! 

IMG_1075.jpeg.6eab6e53011aff442b2611644975f7d9.jpeg

Considering this was my first attempt at kit building, ever, I think it’s not too bad. Certainly my next go at the same kit will hopefully produce something better. But with some paint and weathering I think this will work okay? 
Initially I had problems with couplers with this too… 

IMG_1078.jpeg.7a98fb0b63e0d5a425ab0a255d37843d.jpegIMG_1079.jpeg.323d70a7a48ec7ee9353b022fa5c68eb.jpeg

But a bit of blue tac seems to have worked okay.

And uncoupling works!

I made a couple of mistakes in assembly which were my own fault - so the card brake handles for each side aren’t attached as they’re supposed to go under the decorative parts. I’m also not sure if the right chassis/buffer beam was in this kit as I had to drill some extra depth to fit the buffers as supplied but it wasn’t too much trouble. My application of the grey primer to the body parts isn’t great either. I think with some paint and weathering it’ll look much better.

There isn’t much lateral play in the couplers so I’m not sure how well it would cope with anything except generous curves. It may work okay if coupled on both sides to rolling stock that has kinematic couplers.

Overall I’m quite happy with it, even if my efforts haven’t produced something perfect; it was an enjoyable way to spend a few hours on a rainy Sunday.

Edited by moawkwrd

You might have to shorten the existing coupler holders on the 1-plank until they fit the height requirements - but it seems the kit manufacturer goofed there.
The overall surface finish doesn't harmonise with the other models as the grain is too coarse - at least the closeups are a bit of an eyesore in that respect. IMHO the chosen material is not suited for TT scale.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ateshci said:

The overall surface finish doesn't harmonise with the other models as the grain is too coarse - at least the closeups are a bit of an eyesore in that respect. IMHO the chosen material is not suited for TT scale.

That may be my subpar skills with the grey primer! From what I’ve seen on rmweb it is possible to get to a better finish with multiple coats. I think a proper spray gun with thinner paint might improve it in this regard but I’m not at that level yet.

I think from a normal viewing distance once finished off with weathering and matt varnish they won’t be too bad.

Edited by moawkwrd

The Three Peaks wagons were initially sent out with the coupler mount too deep so I told them what I had done and they revised it. Possibly some kits were still packed with the older deeper pockets so I would just drop them a line about it and hopefully they will send the shorter ones out.

I have 4 of their kits and not had any issue apart from the initial coupler pocket.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

The Three Peaks wagons were initially sent out with the coupler mount too deep so I told them what I had done and they revised it. Possibly some kits were still packed with the older deeper pockets so I would just drop them a line about it and hopefully they will send the shorter ones out.

I have 4 of their kits and not had any issue apart from the initial coupler pocket.

Thanks, yes they’ve replied and said that it is indeed the wrong size coupler pocket. But they’ve said they’ll need to check the design and update it before they can send me a replacement set. Whether they just send me an old one by mistake perhaps and are just saying that even though they’ve already fixed it, not sure.

I’ve already done so much damage to it probably isn’t worth them sending it but might as well.

Edited by moawkwrd

2 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

Thanks, yes they’ve replied and said that it isn’t indeed the wrong size coupler pocket. But they’ve said they’ll need to check the design and update it before they can send me a replacement set. Whether they just send me an old one by mistake perhaps and are just saying that even though they’ve already fixed it, not sure.

They did send me shorter ones after modifying the drawing and shorter ones were in the box van kits.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

They did send me shorter ones after modifying the drawing and shorter ones were in the box van kits.

Ah, maybe they didn’t update the low goods wagon kits.

I’ve finished painting the 5 plank - just some basic colours, nothing special. I read a tip around laser ply kits about reducing fluffiness by sanding down with wet and dry before and between primer coats. Too late for that now with this one but I did go over the external parts with some 2500 I had to hand and I think it’s helped a little. Will see the difference when I build the other one.

IMG_1085.jpeg.a8ac80862374184ca039a7a1f6cfa433.jpeg

It actually couples/uncouples better than the Peco wagons. 

Not sure the matt varnish I used was very good - looks quite shiny now!

Edited by moawkwrd