Another dead motor, and fixed

I second the need for a simple replacement solution especially for those of us half way around the world (well not quite as far as Australia) who have no local Hornby support. I could replace a motor and probably swap a worm gear but I don’t want to start creating custom motor mounts. 
To be clear I’ve had no motor failures so far but I’m probably only at about 10 hours maximum. 

• Like 1

As a soloution, a better suited motor with the worm gear attached is a practical one. Pretty much anyone could either solder themselves (if they are an established railway modeller) or find someone locally who can do it for them. Swapping a worm drive is a little more involved and needs additional tools and some precision in re-fitting. 
One of the issues is that the motors with precious metal fingers instead of traditional carbon brushes are NOT ideal for model railway applications. 
The reference doc linked by @ateshci further back in this thread is from industry leader Maxon and where these motors fall down is stopping/starting and switching between forwards and reverse. They do have some particular advantages though however the disadvantages seem to be dominant issue. They would be perfect in slot racing cars but not for model railways. 
Practically, replacing the motor with a revised specification as a direct swap is going to be hard, 12,000 motors is a tiny number for motor manufacturers, they make in 10’s of millions.
I can see an option being a pack of 5 motors for £10 with worm gear fitted from Hornby spares and we see the motor are a consumable item that most people will swap once a year or so. Many will not see that as ideal however it is achievable.

I hope to do a video today with a full motor swap, open up the end cap of the bad new motor and show removal and refit of the worm gear using the puller I obtained from TramFabriek. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1