Hornby Thomas Express Coaches Replacement Bogies

Does anyone know what type of bogies would be compatible with the early versions of the Hornby Thomas and Friends Green Composite and Brake Coach so I could switch the coupling systems. Accuracy isn't a big deal, I would just like to be able to run these coaches with my Bachmann Thomas Engines.

These were based upon Hornby's GWR Collett coaches and had short wheelbase bogies with an offset pivot point, and I do not know of a more modern bogie that could be used without some degree of modification.

What type of coupling do your Bachmann loco's have?

Looking on the Bachmann website, their Thomas loco's and rolling stock appear to have traditional tension-lock couplings very similar to those used on Hornby's coaches and are therefore likely to be compatible.  Why do you feel the need to "switch coupling systems"? 

As I'm sure you know, there are very fine variations between different manufacturers' tension lock / hook and loop couplings - 'D' size, hook length, height even flexibility I've found with some - Hattons' class 66 was the best I'd ever encountered ...

Perhaps some want to get more reliability in shunting manoeuvres ?

Al.

When I bought the coaches they had XF2 style couplers making it difficult for them to "work" with my Bachmann Thomas models. I started a project to try and convert the couplers into hook and loop couplers that would be compatible with my Bachmann Thomas models.

When I bought the coaches they had XF2 style couplers making it difficult for them to "work" with my Bachmann Thomas models. I started a project to try and convert the couplers into hook and loop couplers that would be compatible with my Bachmann Thomas models.

I don't know what a XF2 coupler is, but your best bet will probably be to purchase one or more secondhand (and perhaps with damaged bodywork to keep the cost down) Hornby GWR-style coach with unmodified bogies just to use the bogies on your stock.  If you keep the modified coaches in rakes, you need change only the end bogie/s where it/they couple to the locomotives.  And the coach bodies can be used as static grounded scenic models.

Its X2F rather than XF2.

@Going Spare. The X2F is the US standard NMRA coupling, though now normally replaced by working knuckles like Kadees.

@TrainMan333. Are you based in the US?  It sounds like the coaches have already been converted to US couplings.  US couplers are usually frame mounted. I have a feeling that the old Airfix/Dapol style couplers such as Hornby X8052 have the correct diameter hole to fit in an NMRA pocket centre mount if indeed that has been used to change over.. Then just use a small self tapper to hold in place. I have the feeling @Rana Temporia would be the guy to confirm that. 

It would good if you could post a picture. It sounds like a certain amount of reverse butchering may be required especially if you are in the US replacement bogies may not be an easy option.

31 minutes ago, ellocoloco said:

Its X2F rather than XF2.

@Going Spare. The X2F is the US standard NMRA coupling, though now normally replaced by working knuckles like Kadees.

@TrainMan333. Are you based in the US?  It sounds like the coaches have already been converted to US couplings.  US couplers are usually frame mounted. I have a feeling that the old Airfix/Dapol style couplers such as Hornby X8052 have the correct diameter hole to fit in an NMRA pocket centre mount if indeed that has been used to change over.. Then just use a small self tapper to hold in place. I have the feeling @Rana Temporia would be the guy to confirm that. 

It would good if you could post a picture. It sounds like a certain amount of reverse butchering may be required especially if you are in the US replacement bogies may not be an easy option.

Yes, I am in the US. The background is that I got the coaches of of ebay and they came in a decent condition but the couplers were X2F so I decided to paint them black then sanded the coupler down a little so that it would be a decent length, then glued the Thomas Hook and Loop Couplers I already have to them. Recently, I have discovered the website Shapeways and saw that some makers sell bogies for different hornby coaches and wagons, I just need to figure out which bogie offered would be a match or close to a perfect match.

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

What you need to search for are GWR Collett 7 foot wheelbase coach bogie frames to take 12.6mm diameter (Hornby-specification) wheels, but you will notice from your example that the bolster and pivot bearing are inset from the mid point of the length of the bogie.  

I think the bogie you illustrate is not a Hornby original for the Thomas-series style of coach even though it has the offset pivot as used by Hornby. 

I had a similar issue when I wanted to convert couplings. My initial idea was to replace the bogies then realised that the replacement bogie cost was a bit excessive. So in the end I went for a range of aftermarket couplings that you could adapt to fit your old bogies. In my case I was using magnetic ones and the supplier I chose made some really nice ones. It wasn't the normal supplier of these types of products either.