A17002 Spitfire Mk.VIII build review

Ratch

The aircraft started life at MT819, hence the RAF Northern Europe camouflage colours for most of the airframe. 
After arriving on 457 Sqn in Australia, on 20-12-44, it was damaged twice. First when a Liberator exploded on take-off at Morotai Strip 24-2-45. After repair it was next damaged in a landing accident on 14-7-45, when it belly landed at Labuan strip following damage from AAA over Keningau.
It was declared a write-off on 22-5-46.

The different green shade was, I guess, the RAAF local Foliage Green. 

• Like 2

I had airbrushed another coat of Klear. When dry I set about the application of decals. I apply the main markings before the stencils. It struck me as I applied the ‘shark’s mouth’ under the chin, how fortunate it was that I hadn’t chosen to have the panels off and engine exposed. I would not like to guess where to cut the decal for the various panels. I used plenty of Microset and Microsol. The under-wing roundels will need the ammunition ejection slots cutting out when dry.
I did think of another way to utilise the big stand and display the aircraft in flight. I cut a length of the clear frame X. I then cut off the lug on the top of the stand and drilled a hole for the clear rod to slot into. I also drilled a hole in the underside of the fuselage, where I’d previously cut the slot. The rod was then cut to length, and the unit assembled (without fixing permanently).
53971397103_c00eeca7ce_z.jpg
53971488999_668885d16c_z.jpg
53971600620_751b1622c1_z.jpg
53971487979_3eafdd6979_z.jpg
  • Like 3

I'd like to build an early version with the extended wingtips.

Is anyone aware of a company that market these ?

I could make them from scratch, but if they are available to buy, I'd rather do that.

I've searched far and wide for them but with no success.

I'm somewhat annoyed that they're not included in the kit !

Edited by Chuffing Billy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chuffing Billy said:

I'd like to build an early version with the extended wingtips.

Is anyone aware of a company that market these ?

I could make them from scratch, but if they are available to buy, I'd rather do that.

I've searched far and wide for them but with no success.

I'm somewhat annoyed that they're not included in the kit !

Do you mean the high altitude mk.VI and VII? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that they were based on the mk.V, and would have the earlier radiator configurations along with other changes for the pressurised cockpit? 

16 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I think Billy may be talking just the tips and not the entire wing, but I've not seen these in 1/24 before

Very true. 

I'm not saying I'm right or anything, and certainly don't want to come across as a JMN or anything - I don't actually know if  the mk.VIII's were fitted with the long wingtips or not but I just have a feeling the high altitude Spits were based on an earlier airframe. That being said I'd like to see Billy's conversion either way - It's really interesting to see someone convert one of these big kits. 

@Topcat_Ern and @Valhalla - That's cool, you learn something new everyday. I can see Billy's point about it being a shame about the tips not being included then. Even more looking forward to his conversion if he posts it. 

Apologies Richard for the short thread high-jack. Really liking those decals, the shark mouth looks like it worked really well. 

Edited by A J Rimmer

Whenever Airfix introduces a new kit there are those unhappy because it is the wrong variant, the wrong scale, or has the wrong markings - and that's without any perceived accuracy issues. As modellers we have a choice, we can build OOB or we can do some modelling to get what we want.

I applied the decals using Microset and Microsol agents. Somehow, I managed to lose one of the W letters and had to mackle another together from white decal strip cut to suit.

53973710939_aeb46b7ca2_z.jpg

53973629933_63a72f15d4_z.jpg

Shame about the W but looks like a great recovery, well done.

2 hours ago, Ratch said:

we can build OOB or we can do some modelling to get what we want

Completely agree with your sentiments here although building OOB can also need adding some modelling skills to get the designers intended result 🙂

Ian

• Like 2

Not blatantly obvious, but I laid down all the stencils and walkway lines today.

53974632917_5423c9c0dc_z.jpg

I agree, the bigger scales do not suit everyone, but they offer much more detail. For those who build at a sedate rate, they offer many hours of enjoyment in the building experience. I've been lucky enough over the years to build all Airfix's Super Kits (except the Hellcat, which is still in my stash, and the Sea Harrier) and they certainly make impressive models - these latest toolings even more so than the earlier kits.

• Like 3

I protected the decals with a mix of Klear and matt varnish. I assembled and painted the gun sight. The navigation light reflectors were brushed with silver. I resumed weathering selected areas of the exhaust stubs by airbrushing Vallejo Model Color 70800 180 Gunmetal Blue, and Vallejo Model Air 71069 Rust (Metallic). I added the clear parts for the gun sight. I then secured the windscreen and blown canopy fixing them with G-S Hypo Cement. I then painted Vallejo Model Color 70934 186 Transparent Red for the port and Vallejo Model Color 70936 188 Transparent Green for the starboard navigation lights before fixing the lenses. Now I fitted the exhaust stubs and the under-wing aerial. I added the navigation light lenses, and rear-view mirror fixing them with G-S Hypo Cement and removed all masking.
53979475682_33a48c4a08_c.jpg
I think this is a great kit. Loads of detail and hours of involvement in the building. There are plenty of build options too. These super-kits may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but there is a market for them and this offering will have pleased some modellers I must admit that a Mk.VIII was not on my wanted list, but I have enjoyed the experience of building the kit. It deserves to sell well for Airfix, who I thank for the opportunity to build it.

• Like 6

That's a lovely build Ratch and thanks for sharing the build with us. Few more pics please if not too much trouble 🙂

I've not used G-S Hypo before as always used Micro Kristal Klear for attaching canopies so interested to find out it's benefits.

I'm looking forward to getting this kit (Maybe when there's a 20% off offer 🙂 )

Cheers

Ian