General question about the forums

Hi All,

Although my account goes back to 2017 I've not posted much, However, since joining the Airfix club I thought I might as well get involved in the forum a bit more - for that 'club' experience. 

Couple of quick questions though if you'll indulge me. 

In the topic specific forums (e.g. aircraft) there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of WIP style posts, just generally finished builds. Is WIP welcome, or is it generally frowned upon?

Are we allowed to post up WIP/finished builds of non-Airfix kits, or is it generally (and quite understandably) only Airfix (I did see some non-Airfix stuff in the 'Recently purchased' thread). 

Cheers! 

AJ 

Whether your post is for a WIP, a completed build, a question about an Airfix kit, or a review of an aircraft subject, it can be posted in the Aircraft Sub-Forum. Likewise the other sub-forums. Take a look about Stuart. The site has been formatted differently since you last visited.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Ratch said:

Whether your post is for a WIP, a completed build, a question about an Airfix kit, or a review of an aircraft subject, it can be posted in the Aircraft Sub-Forum. Likewise the other sub-forums. Take a look about Stuart. The site has been formatted differently since you last visited.

Thanks Richard,

I take it that's the reason for the old 'DO NOT POST' forum forum? 😄 The new site looks good - I'll have a look about. 

Edited by A J Rimmer

1 minute ago, Ratch said:

Yes Stu, that's an Archive area (it would be better moved to the bottom of the list).

Ah, that would help yes, although as a newbie I can say that your 'Do not Post' thread did stand out to me. 

Am I right in thinking generally Airfix only subjects in the boards though? 

16 hours ago, A J Rimmer said:

Am I right in thinking generally Airfix only subjects in the boards though? 

Since the site has been revamped, we have mainly been treated to Ratch’s In-box reviews and builds which have been very helpful to see. 
Personally, if I have built a non-Airfix kit, I just tend to post a Ready for Inspection set of pix. The exception to that was the recent Sea Gladiator post of the Pavla kit. I did however try to point out where the Airfix kit was better. 
And of course, there are some aircraft that Airfix have not modelled so why not show them?

I get the feeling that there are not so many people posting for what ever reason unfortunately. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ratch said:

No, Airfix acknowledge that we build other kits, but they obviously don't want them promoted to the detriment of their own brand.

That makes sense - so no 'God! Don't but the Airfix kit, this one is much better...' kind of thing. I wouldn't do that anyway - too much of a fanboy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dominic Thomas said:

Since the site has been revamped, we have mainly been treated to Ratch’s In-box reviews and builds which have been very helpful to see. 
Personally, if I have built a non-Airfix kit, I just tend to post a Ready for Inspection set of pix. The exception to that was the recent Sea Gladiator post of the Pavla kit. I did however try to point out where the Airfix kit was better. 
And of course, there are some aircraft that Airfix have not modelled so why not show them?

I get the feeling that there are not so many people posting for what ever reason unfortunately. 

Thanks for the reply Dominic. 

That's sounds fair enough - I'll keep that in mind. I mostly build Airfix anyway so it's not a huge problem. 

That's a shame, it looks to be a pretty good forum. I hope it picks up again. 

I suppose posts are a bit sparse because it is summer. Not very conducive to model making.  The long winter evenings are better.  Heck,  over here in Malta with the temperature in the upper thirties you find the paint dries before the brush moves from the pot to the model!  Turning on the airconditioner doesn't help.  The draft of cold air also dries the paint quickly.

• Like 1

I’m always a bit sparse. 🤡 I'm not doing a great deal of modelling just now, with Real Life rather to the fore here.

It’s not quite finished, but I’ve been converting the RAF Refuelling Set's Bedford QLC to one of the tankers sold to the GPO by the Ministry of Supply in 1949.

Airfix Refuelling Set

I’m also about to do a superdetail on its AEC partner from the same set.

My Manchester conversion is stuck on the Shelf of Doom for a bit, and I’m planning a massive figure painting session along the lines of our own Ratch. Otherwise, lots of kits still to get stuck into, but not all of them Airfix.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that after a few weeks of being actively involved with the forum I'm really impressed with it - I really like the tone of the place, and there are some great Ladies and Gent's on here, it's been nice to talk to you all. 

Thanks to Airfix and the mod team for keeping it running!    

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, A J Rimmer said:

Just wanted to say that after a few weeks of being actively involved with the forum I'm really impressed with it - I really like the tone of the place, and there are some great Ladies and Gent's on here, it's been nice to talk to you all. 

Thanks to Airfix and the mod team for keeping it running!    

I hope that means you’re going to stay 😁

• Like 2

Oh very much so! 

When I joined the Airfix club (I know you don't have to be a club member to be on here) it just seemed a natural thing to do to get more involved with the Airfix forum. I'm glad I did. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A J Rimmer said:

Oh very much so! 

When I joined the Airfix club (I know you don't have to be a club member to be on here) it just seemed a natural thing to do to get more involved with the Airfix forum. I'm glad I did. 

Yes, please stay, 

Randall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1