Air Sea Rescue Lysander - Airfix 1/72

Here’s my latest build – the Westland Lysander produced by Airfix many years ago in 1/72 scale. I’ve built it as part of my on-going RAF Warmwell project, as a 277 Squadron ASR version, based at RAF Warmwell in 1944.

Here’s the picture of the poly-bag ‘header’ (which unfolded, becomes the instruction leaflet):

lysanderkitbagv02.jpg.b15695a4f129b2aa8f31b22c0901c100.jpg

And here’s a 1944 picture of the actual aircraft:

warmwelllysanderv02.jpg.b7e1b210787c4edb7407d28b098fdab6.jpg

Apart from the cockpit canopy, it was a reasonably straightforward build, and the parts fit was actually very good, with very little filler being needed. As you can see from the next picture, there was a need for some rather intricate masking needed for the ‘greenhouse’:

277Lysandermasking.jpg.5fefdd56ffb0b1720e2f3e898465bf24.jpg

The canopy comes in several parts, and is structural in that that the wings attach to two lugs on one of the sections, so PVA was not going to be strong enough, so G-S Hypo Cement was used to fix together the various components of the canopy – strong bond and no fogging – thanks to Ratch for the tip!

ASR aircraft carried a dinghy to be dropped, and also smoke markers. I scratched the ASR dinghy ‘module’ – working from photographs, and the 'smoke markers' came from the spares box.

lysfin02.jpg.ba7c34956245f70c42d27017105fc4c2.jpg

lysfin03.jpg.cf16947bdecf314456f7af1c7e706bda.jpg

The yellow code decals were sourced from Hannants (actually intended for French aircraft), along with the rather more generic roundels and black serials.

lysfin04.jpg.789683d1020893d7c40b3b117c3a0b04.jpg

Paint was brush-applied Vallejo Model Air Dark Green/Extra Dark Sea Grey with Sky Type S undersides, all sealed in with Vallejo Matt Varnish (which dries to just about the correct sheen for a 1944 aircraft).

lysfin01.jpg.3f44e774f2cee976dc9bffc94ddf292b.jpg

lysfin05.jpg.f0a6714d9215c06028f445af20fd9e97.jpg

I enjoyed the build, which for a very old mould threw up fewer problems than some older kits, and it’s another one to add to my RAF Warmwell collection. Thanks for taking the trouble to have a look!

• Like 7

What a brilliant build - nicely built and painted and I love the conversion to a ASR aircraft - good work. 🙂

The Lysander is such a great aircraft, I can't believe I've never built one. 

Thanks AJ - very kind of you.

It's the second Lysander that I've built - the first one was not an Airfix model, and I seem to recall having lots of problems with it. An East European kit, if I remember rightly. So, as mentioned above, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this somewhat ancient Airfix moulding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, modeling maniac said:

a very rare aircraft as there are only 3 airworthy examples so far..

there are two Lysanders down to fly at duxfords BoB airshow in september a MKI and a MKIII SD

On 08/08/2024 at 20:29, paul71 said:

there are two Lysanders down to fly at duxfords BoB airshow in september a MKI and a MKIII SD

I have seen a Lysander MK1 at the Victory Show 22-23. Who knows, it might be there this year I'll send some pics any way though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, john redman said:

They have one in the Shuttleworth collection at Old Warden. They are big for a single-engined monoplane.

They are big for a two man single engine monoplane, a remarkably sjort take-off distance too.