Airfix (what else) 1/72 F-105F Thunderchief

A J Rimmer

Hi All,

So for my first WIP posted to the forum, I though I'd do something different from WWII and a bit old-skool - Airfix's old F-105F Thunderchief. Quite a rare kit now I think, as opposed to the old Airfix F-105G Wild Weasel kit which I suspect is this same moulding, just in a different box.  

spacer.png

This is a really basic kit - back form the (not so) good-old days of my youff. TO honest it's not the best F-105 kit, as it has some severe shape issues around the nose. But we won't worry about that - we're going to build this OOB for some pure nostalgia.  

Look - blue instructions and brown decals! 

spacer.png

Here are the Sprues - there's not to much to it. what's there looks good though. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Plus and bag of bits and the fuselage taped together. Actually the fit doesn't seem that bad. 

spacer.png

I've not started it yet, as I'm planning too over the weekend. But just to get something done I've put the browned decals under a UV lamp, just to see if we can make them usable. If that doesn't work I do have some old Mirocscale AM decals. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

So there you go - updates to follow over the weekend. 

Feel free to post up some pic's if you've ever built one - it does seem to be a rare kit. 

Cheers! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grumps123 said:

Interested to see what this comes out like. Thanks for the tip ref the UV light for old decals! 👍

Not sure if it'll work yet lol, but it'll be interesting to see if it works. 

It's a pretty simple kit, so it should build up nicely. 

2 hours ago, modeling maniac said:

I haven't seen one of those for ages, nothing quite like modelling a 'thud'.

You don't see that many built up - certainly I haven't. There are much better kits of the F-105 out there, but this is more about the Nostalgia. 

34 minutes ago, A J Rimmer said:

Not sure if it'll work yet lol, but it'll be interesting to see if it works. 

It's a pretty simple kit, so it should build up nicely. 

This is a real problem for those of us with stashes old enough to shave. 
I’d be very interested to see the results of this UV treatment. 

• Like 1

On 16/08/2024 at 22:27, Valhalla said:

Very interested to know if the UV trick works

Ah, not so much at the moment - I suspect the lamp I have isn't that strong unfortunately - but it was worth a go. I'll keep playing with it this week before I give it up entirely but I suspect I'll be using the AM decals I have.  

Not as much modelling time spent on this as I would have hoped over the weekend, but I have managed to assemble the cockpit tub. I have also since added some nose weight. 

spacer.png

Hopefully I'll get some paint on it today. 

Cheers! 

3 hours ago, A J Rimmer said:

Ah, not so much at the moment - I suspect the lamp I have isn't that strong unfortunately - but it was worth a go. 

Make the most of the sunshine whilst we've got it, pin them to a window!

Nice to see someone working on a Palitoy era kit, the tooling for kits developed during their ownership appears to have gone awol, which is a pity as some of them were not at all bad.   

• Like 1

I actually have a nice set of aftermarket decals - so it's not a problem for this build in that regards.

I was just really seeing if this lamp I bought was up to the task of bleaching the decals, like some people use those nail-dryer things for, but alas it seems not (so far). I will, as you said, bung them in the window for a bit just to see how long it takes - although I've not had much success with this method either - hence the idea of the lamp. In reality, I was just experimenting (as you do) to see what I could do with old decals if I come across them in the future. Normally I just buy replacements. 

Airfix of old used to make some nice, if basic. modern jet kits - it's a shame they don't get a bit more love. I hadn't heard they'd lost the tooling though - that is sad. This one looks like it'll be a nice, if a bit inaccurate, build. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dominic Thomas said:

I’m looking forward to seeing how this turns out, and especially which paints you will use for the camouflage. 

I've picked up a Hataka blue line paint set - they're my go to paints usually - I have a couple of dozen of their sets. 

spacer.png 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Looking at your last photo it surprises me that they actually had a cockpit tub with sticks and detail instead of just seats in a 1/72 🙂

Ian

I was quite impressed actually! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A J Rimmer said:

I've picked up a Hataka blue line paint set - they're my go to paints usually

I've never tried these. I might have to give them a go. Where did you pick them up from?

• Like 1

They're good paints - I started using them when they first came out. Both the Red and Blue lines are water based and work well for brush painting. 

I have ordered directly from the company in the past, but I normally just get them from ebay. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I made some progress on this over the weekend.

Here's the cockpit and crew...

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here's the main parts assembled. I've done a bit of work on the seams but I have to say I'm feeling a bit lazy. Building this has reminded me why I've been moving away from classic kits and their raised panel lines over the last few years. I'll see what it looks like after some primer. I do have some nice wing root gaps to fill. 

spacer.png

Overall though, the fit was pretty good for a 1982 kit. 

Cheers! 

Edited by A J Rimmer
  • Like 5